NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What Is Your Grey's Favorite Treat?

JeffNOK

I was just wondering what treats your greys especially like. So far I have given Gracie sunflower seeds, shaved almond, and cheese when I visit her. Any other suggestions? I don't overdo it with treats. I usually give her a treat when I greet her. One while we are visiting, and one when I say goodbye.

Olivers favorite treat was anything cooked, or any fruit. You could give him a nut and he'd huck it instantly, but give him a chunk of banana, apple, or any fruit pretty much and he loved it! He didn't seem to have a favorite tho.

We eat a lot of steamed potatoes and we'd make sure it was cool enough for him, and he would 'WOLF' it down in 'CHICK MODE' as he would move his head up and down and take HUGE chunks. I miss it so much.

Some breeders recommend feeding your new young bird soft warm mushy food from a spoon. It seems to be comforting to them and even though they are weaned it makes them feel close to you. Gilbert is somewhere around ten, but he loves having a spoonful of warm oatmeal, mashed potatoes and things like that. There is something about sending them to bed with a warm snack that just seems right. Jayd made a mash from sweet potato, peanut butter and banana that his birds loved.

Kazoo: peanut in the shell

Oboe: walnut crumbs

Simon: pistachio, walnut, almond, peanut, pretty much anything and everything is a treat for him. He especially appreciates food he can hold in his foot. Finger food...or toe food.

Well, Oscar tends to be a little picky in what he eats. I keep trying new things to see what he loves. Thus far he likes warm foods- pasta, veggies, oatmeal. He doesn't like fruit so much but he loves corn, peas, beans, tomatoes, and green beans. I also found out that he LOVE cheese and is now absolutely in love with vanilla soy milk. He's so cute when he drinks it! He gets so excited that he shoves his whole beak in the glass and gulps it down. I swear he would bathe in it if he could!!:cool:

I give Ellie an almond after I give her the medicine. Which may be why she comes running each time that I tell her it is time to take her medicine...

She goes NUTS for peanuts (in shell). (Yes, I know that peanuts are not, technically, nuts. Let me have my brief amusement...)

Grapes are a big hit.

Those are her big three...

At the moment...

Roscoe absolutely loves sweet potatoes!! He gets excited when he sees me take it out of the microwave. He will take it from a spoon but prefers to "wolf it down". Sometimes I wonder where he puts all of it. (like 2-3 TB spoons). Grapes, bananas, green beans, corn, squash, oatmeal,yogurt, all varieties of baby food & peanut butter. He throws out almonds but likes pumpkin seeds, cashews & unsalted peanuts in the shell.

He's so cute with Brownberry Healthnut bread. He doesn't eat the bread but shreds it & picks out all the nuts & grains. The other thing that's cute is he just started drinking Dasani water out of the bottle. He walks over to my bottle, reaches up & bites the cap. I hold a paper towel under his chin & he guzzles... He always says water when I take a drink, walk by & pour some in his bowl & when he hears a pill bottle turned over. (along w/ his water sound)

Tui absolutely loves porridge. Don't ask me why, but she does. Most mornings I take her into the kitchen with me and she perches on the back of one of the dining room chairs. If I make porridge, you can guarantee she'll hop onto the table and stick her nose in my bowl. I don't give her too much, but she loves it now and again.

• 1 year later...

Raw cut in sections. Something about the seeds in the casing drives her batty. She will go after okra first before just about anything else. She even has me eating them now. It's a reverse-case of whatever Greycie is eating has to be good so I go after it too :D

Another thing she goes nutty for is corn-on-the-cob. I slightly cook mine in the microwave with the shucks still on it and it creates a naturally steamed ear of corn. I do not over cook, just beyond raw. Throw one of those on the counter and she's busy for 30-60 minutes. She'll eat what she wants and then commence tearing it to pieces which I then gather up and store for later. Greycie does her own food prep!

bendifry3.jpg

Edited by SterlingSL