NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Newbie from Australia

Merlin

Hey there everyone :) I've been stalking the forum for a few months now in my journey to find out whether my husband and I are quality enough to become Grey caretakers. We have come to the conclusion after a year of research and learning, that YES we meet the complex array of requirements and we both hope that we can welcome into our little family a young Grey parrot next year!!!! That will give us ample time to import a cage, and set up the new bird space. His or her name will be Merlin :D

At the moment we are owned by Yoshi the Quaker, Yoda the Sun Conure, Sophie and Piper the Border Collies and a lizard called Chuckie.

Anyway, still more reading to do in preparation and I must say, I have become completely obsessed with African Greys, and learning, reading, talking and breathing them. I'm fascinated and deeply in love. See you all around!

Welcome. I also joined the forum well in advance of me getting my grey, so that I'd be well prepared. I joined in January 2011 and I'll be getting my grey (Gracie) in December. I've learned a lot and feel much more confident. Have fun and enjoy this phase of the journey.

Thanks guys :) and relieved to hear I'm not the only person who is overly eager in advance. Preparation is the key :) I have to find the right breeder still though unfortunately, and in Australia they seem to be as common as hens teeth.

Anyway, still more reading to do in preparation and I must say, I have become completely obsessed with African Greys, and learning, reading, talking and breathing them. I'm fascinated and deeply in love. See you all around!

G'day Merlin. Sounds like you fit right in. Around here we think that obsession is a very good thing. In fact, we have a name for it, grey-o-holic! If you didn't already I think you might get a kick out of reading this thread

www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?193446-Rio&p=232830#post232830

Admittedly, it got started when 3 AM east coast time met midnight on the west coast. It kind of took on a life of it's own. lol

I've read about how tough it is to get a grey down under. Do they also need some kind of special license? Got to be pretty committed. But it sounds like you're determined enough to work it all out, though. Looking forward to your pics & stories, hopefully soon.

G'day Merlin. Sounds like you fit right in. Around here we think that obsession is a very good thing. In fact, we have a name for it, grey-o-holic! If you didn't already I think you might get a kick out of reading this thread

www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?193446-Rio&p=232830#post232830

Admittedly, it got started when 3 AM east coast time met midnight on the west coast. It kind of took on a life of it's own. lol

I've read about how tough it is to get a grey down under. Do they also need some kind of special license? Got to be pretty committed. But it sounds like you're determined enough to work it all out, though. Looking forward to your pics & stories, hopefully soon.

LMAO....double LMAO....somehow..that link scrolls right to me on loving birds. Thank you birdhouse...that is really cool. I forgot that I had typed that. But it is exactly how I feel. Thank you for bringing that back.

Bahahahaha, well after reading that I feel entirely normal, at home here too- but its glad to know that i'm not the only nutbag parrot obsessed, RIO LOVIN, shoulda-been-born-a-bird, Grey-a-holic around :D

Its not so much that Greys are hard to come across here, but being me, I am being super selective about my breeder, and their understanding of Greys. No license required where I am thank goodness. I figure, if they want the best for the baby they have invested so much love into and time to raise, they wont mind me bombarding them with crazy excited questions and things hehehe. Hopefully I will start getting some replies soon!!!!!!!

Merlin welcome to the forum and have fun with your search...getting the right breeder is so important, you are off to a great start. I am in the process of waiting for my baby to come home...it's just like being pregnant...let's get this over with...lol