NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What do you put under your cages?? How often do you clean your bird's cage?

Tagtastic

Lollie's cage is on pergo wood type flooring. She likes to play on her seed guards (favorite part is throwing the corner pieces on the floor :D) so she poops on the floor...not to mention all the food that gets thrown about. It's not a big deal but it sticks on the floor and I am not sure scrubbing them is a great idea. Her playstand is on my room which is on carpet. Most of the stuff I can vacuum up but she just learned she can climb down and play on the floor of the playstand and she occasionally poops over the side.

Do you have a routine for cleaning your cages? (I can't even imagine some of you guys that have MBS!) I try to put fresh paper and spot clean daily after she goes to her sleepy cage for the night. I wash her bowls every night. However, some nights I am just too pooped! I have not taken it outside for a spray down yet.

When I got my home, I knew I wanted flighted parrots so I had all the carpet removed and I put in laminated wood floors throughout. I use newspaper around the cages and under ceiling bungees and perches. I weight them down otherwise they would be floating all over my home. I live alone so this is all right by me. If there are poops on the floor I clean them up with a damp paper towel and after the birdies are in for the night I mop the floors with vinegar and water. I keep a close eye on my parrots when they are out so they are pretty spoiled and use to my scoldings. I have trained them to sit at the perches and bungees so that, of course, helps a lot. Ana Grey also like to be close to me, so she follows me around. Louie, the zon, is re-homed and so usually only goes from the bird room to my office. As I said they are pretty mellow and easy going birds. As for cleaning the stages usually every other day, or sooner, if needed. Say after a self-given really wet bath after I have cleaned the cage!!!! LOL!!! Love those parrots!!!!

I use some vinyl runner under the cages in the family room but we will be replacing it next year with some type of tile, it catches the poops that Josey will do from her drop down door in the top front of her cage, she likes to sit there and chat, I can clean it up easily.

Loki's cage is on those brightly coloured floor mats that kids play on. It helps to protect the hardwood from her dropping her toys off the side of the cage. plus its easy to vaccum up the feathers and debris. Newspapers are under her boings.

My hubby and I change her cage papers every few days, the cage gets a good wipe down about every ten days, and gets washed down once a month.

I also have just purchased vinyl floor runners for under my play stand and cages. The were just about $1 per foot. Originally I was going to by the ones used for office chairs, but they are much more expensive.

I clean the papers every day for both birds and scrub off my grates daily for my TAG and every two days for the BB he's less messy.

• 11 months later...
Guest frankiegirl

My Grey is 10 and a half years old and she is very whinny when she wants something. I mean she uses her own name and whines it out. I've never have taught her this, nor anyone else. What to do?

I bought the inexpensive chir mats from Stples and have those under my cages. I have wood floors in the bird room. The other places I just clean up at night after they go to bed. I have ceramic tile, use a wet cloth and a Azores blade if needed.

Janet, what do you use to hold the paper down, I would love to put down paper, but with my 3 flying, as you said, the paper goes flying too!

Lots of responses! Awesome! My birds have open cage. It took a ton of work, to get three birds of different origins, to get along. LOVE our dogs. They have open cage belief, but can only fly within the bird room. Birds all get along! So... birds and dogs all love each other, but gates prevent dogs and birds from interacting. It is important, even though they love each other. Nancy

We've recently put down linoleum where all the bird cages are. I took the leftover and made "mats" that go just under the front of the cages. Sam likes to sit on his perch, that is attached to the door. When the door is open (all day) he poops on the mat constantly, and I can wait till he goes back in and just pick up the small mat and clean. I don't like to scare him off, if he dared to come out at all. It's easy to wipe down that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure some of you remember a friend of mine who lost her "True Companion" due to a hard floor under her cage, and then there's the "Split Breasts". Our home is carpeted, with small drop cloths where necessary..Yes, you can survive with carpet.......

[quote name=Talon;261088......

Janet' date=' what do you use to hold the paper down, I would love to put down paper, but with my 3 flying, as you said, the paper goes flying too![/quote]

I use furniture easy gliders to hold the paper down in my bird room. It works for me. In the other rooms of my home, I have ceiling boings/perches in places where my parrots always go to be near me. If they are not on my knee/chest or the back of my couch close to me, they are on these ceiling boings/perches. I have easy gliders or floor decorations on the paper beneath these places.

• 1 year later...

I too use carpet runners i guess it what its called. You buy it at homedepot in rolls and they sell by the ft.

I guess these are used in hallways or where you have a lot of traffic.

Mine has a rubber back but not the cheap ones that smell like rubber.

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to smells.

I cannot stand the smell of rubber products.

Anyone so i have the runners under the cages and then i buy butcher paper by the roll and cut pieces and tape it to the floor. Masking tape works well to hold the paper in place so when they fly around or flap wings you dont have paper going everywhere. Every second or third day i replace paper and start all over. The runners are vacuumed but i have attached plexi glass around my cages where the food bowls are so the food spills back into the cage and not on the floor. Hope this is not too confusing.lol

2013-09-21 12.37.05.jpg

We get the over-sized hospital type bed pads at Sam's or Costco. They have green plastic on one side and an absorbent quilted side on the other and are safe next to human skin. They don't fly in the breeze and are easy to shake off outside for the bark, jute and other shredded toys and last quite a long time. As a bonus, if they take a bath and fling water, it is easy to pick one up off the floor and replace it with the next one. I have them under the playstand, around the edges of the cage and under the door.

• 1 month later...

Currently there is carpet under Inara's cage, I vacuum it daily. I have a vinyl chair mat in front of the sofa where she hangs out with me, and her mobile perch is usually over hardwood floors. So a quick wipe up with a spritz of vinegar and water and a piece of paper towel if poop happens anywhere.

I change the papers in the bottom of her cage every morning after breakfast, and I wipe down around her food and water dishes, and also the bottom grate of her cage. I sanitize her water dishes daily by filling them with boiling water and a few drops of vinegar, rinse them with filtered water, wipe them out and then refill with filtered water. Her dry food dish is changed every morning, and her wet food dish is sanitized right after eating, in the same way I sanitize her water dishes.

Once a week I wipe down every nook and cranny with boiling water and vinegar, and my avian vet suggested that about once every three or four months to wipe it down with a bleach and water mixture then rinse. With my first birds I used the same basic routine, but in the summer time would also take the cage outside once a month, hose it down and let it sit in the sunshine until completely dry and baked (we live in a very dry climate).

I also once a week, clean all of her perches with vinegar and water and then rinse and air dry -- but I don't do them all at once. I rotate so that she always has at least one dry perch while the other(s) are drying but a bit damp. her rope perch, I take to the sink every couple of days and pour boiling water over it and the let it air dry.

Everyone does something different! In the winter I dilute with vinegar and water, in the summer, I dilute with chlorax and water and take outside and powerwash! I have hardwood floors thruout the house. Only one room with carpet. I no longer have blinds( as they can hang themselves), removed all the curtains. ( they tend to climb up them and poop!). Why bother! I have learned to LOVE the " natural sunshine look!" Spread 16 by 20 painters plastic under the bird cage, change it weekly, but sweep it daily.( Walmart). As far as hardwood floor, soak with very warm water on poop stains... clean in 30 minutes. Make sure you have a ton of urethane on the floors, as soaking in warm water, removes layers of protection over time. When refinishing hardwood floors, best scenario is to remove birds for several days, as the fumes are harmful. Nancy