NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Camping anyone??

Butttaxi

Hey All

I hope everyone is doing greyt!!! Everything is A-Okay here! Rorschach is doing awesome being his silly self. He is currently bugging David as he tries to play a video game lol

The reason why I am posting this is because David and I are planning a camping trip this summer and rather than sending Rorschach to my mom’s for a few nights or getting a bird sitter (both not so great options since they are all not comfortable with handling him and they are afraid of him biting) we think it would be good to take him along.

We will be camping in a tent so we are trying to get ideas for a cage that would be large enough for him to be comfortable for a few days (3 the most) and also small enough for us to carry through the woods. I was thinking about those dog kennels, the ones that are more like a cage then a carrier; they can fold down flat for easy transport.

I wanted to know if anyone here has ever taken their birds camping before and if so what do you use for bird housing and if you have any advice on making the trip fun for everyone of us including Rorschach.

Any advice would be brilliant, thanks in advance.

Theresa, David and Rorschach

We do all our camping in our motor home that has two large built in cages so I am not much help unless you plan on getting one than I can help you out.

You're right Ray, that didn't help her at all. The OP was clear on her intent and needs. She never asked for help with old motor homes. Did you just want to show your rustic motor home or have someone listen to your typed words? Maybe you could start your own thread entitled Motor Homes and Bird Cages.

Haven't tried ebay yet but we have found some sites and are shopping around for the best deals :D

as for the nature sounds I am cool with, Rorschach makes fart noises most of the day so hearing nature sounds would be very welcomed lol

Edited by Butttaxi

She can do the bull frog, and cricket sound very well now. She is trying so hard to talk, sometimes I think she is saying something, but is drowned out, by the big boys. She is so sweet thou. She has to have her head and necked rubbed before she will step up. She is quite spoiled already. I can't wait for school to start back up so that I can spend more time with her. Every time she see's my son she flies with panic. I can't wait until she gets use to him. She is scared of everything I hope that changes.

Good luck with the camping. I would have to rent a u haul to take all mine camping, and I don't have any one to feed mine. I don't trust Roy to a stranger.

I was window shopping on Google in various sites that sell cool stuff for parrots a few days ago. I saw some sites that has carriers that are backpacks for carrying parrots.

Here's a link to one. They are pretty expensive but if you camp a lot it might be a good investment!

http://www.csnstores.com/Celltei-Pak-o-Bird-Nylon-Mesh-Bird-Carrier-PB001-X-CEL1067.html?refid=FR49-CEL1067_2615649_2615705&PiID=2615649&PiID=2615705

I just googled "backpack parrot carrier" and got several results.

And personally I'd love to see an RV with built-in cages!!

Edited by aslterp59
Found the link to add

Oh the Pak-o-bird I so want one, we have been looking at them for months but I am so frugal I haven't giving in yet lol Some day I will crack and get one. You better believe that if/when we get one he will be going everywhere we do lol

Good news though, we were in a pet food store that just opened up and they were selling dog carriers and they had a perfect size and price :D they even had little dishes that bolt on to cages so we picked a few of those up. We will just take his main perch out of his cage when we go :D We are also thinking about renting a cabin rather then camp in a tent, I like this idea more for Rorschach so I won't have to worry about the temperature changing thought the night and if we decide to go swimming or something Rorschach can't participate in, we won't have to worry about predators or other campers.

I am super pleased with the travel cage because I was able to take him out side the other day for a bit of fresh air and a little natural sunlight. After he got over the new sounds he relaxed and was enjoying himself :D A few of the neighbors came over to see him and one man was like "this must be the bird I keep hear whistling?"

HI, can you post a picture of the travel cage you got for Rorschach? I'd like to have something on hand for Gemma if we need to take her somewhere. Sounds like the cabin idea is a good one so you don't have to be concerned about temperature and such. Hope you have a great time!!

We are thinking Margaree Nova Scotia, we live on Cape Breton Island, northern Nova Scotia and there are loads of places to camp around here and is very beautiful. We haven't picked out a site yet or finalized the full detailed plans all we know is we are going next month. We are going with a few friends and are waiting on what they decide before finalizing the details.

Here is a site with pictures of Margaree http://www.margareens.com/gallery.html SOO BEAUTIFUL there :D

I didn't get any pictures but I have a video, I will try and upload

• 4 weeks later...

Nice cage, and you werent kidding when you said it was a BEAUTIFUL LOCATION. Ive been keeping my eye open for one of those fancy backpack cages on craigslist, hopefully I can find one to lug my fid around on my back. Make sure you take lots of pics of nova scotia when you go Ive never seen Canada before. (Actually, Ive never seen snow in my life!)

I am not a big fan of snow, sure it can be pretty but when you have to go out and do anything it becomes a pain in the ...

We went on the trip, we rented this old school house that was re-done as a cottage. Had three bedrooms, electricity, indoor plumbing, hot water ... basically it had EVERYTHING. Our camp trip turned into just a vacation.

Rorschach had the time of his life, he made some new friends and a new bff who shared her pizza with him.

I had some difficulty with the pictures, a lot of them are way to large to upload maybe I can upload to flicker later and post the rest

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00505.jpg