NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Begging to Get Out

Butttaxi

Hello Everyone,

Rorschach has this cute way of asking to come out of the cage, he doesn’t vocalize it or scream for attention, he will either cling to the side of the cage or sit at the bottom and kick his foot until one of us gets up to let him out. I have tried getting a video but when I get close to the cage to get a better shot he stops because I just provided him with what he wanted, attention. We often joke about getting him a cup, like someone in jail, he can bang it on the bars.

I am not sure if this is a personality trait or common behaviour. Do any of your fids do this or have any cute personal traits?

Cheers

Theresa & Rorschach

haha yeah I guess he really is ringing for service.

I am trying to get Rorschach to say "wanna come out" so every time I see him do this I will go to him and say "wanna come out" and then let him out. Hopefully he will pick it up, not that I mind his quiet begging It is better then screaming or screeching. it is really cute though especially the time he was begging the cats to let him out lol I hope I can get a clear video to share some day.

So David was able to locate information on the behavior that Rorschach does, it is apparently a common thing in young grey's and is called digging. I was searching for the wrong thing. So it is not a special personality trait. Someone said not to re-enforce the behavior and they will grow out of it but it seems to be a great way for him to tell us he wants out until he decides to ask vocally

he never does it out of the cage but he is flighted so I don't have to be his taxi lol He whistles all the time, the only time he really does it to get our attention is when I leave the room and he does his "you-hoo" whistle. I have to call back and tell him I will be right back lol

Issac does the same little quiet 'digging' motion at the bottom of the cage when I am leaving. It took me a while to get past the guilt, seeing him asking to get out so sweetly. I usually go by where he is wedging his beak between the bars and rub his little cheeks while saying, "I'll be back boy....it's okay".

I am gleefully anticipating the day when Gilbert begs to come out. As it is, I open his cage the moment I come into the room and he plays inside as often as out. But, the funny thing is if he is outside on the playtop and someone else approaches him, he grabs the chain that holds his bell and rings it furiously calling for Security to come and give him the space to scuttle back to his safety zone.

• 3 weeks later...