NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

am i doing this right

Hi we have just adopted floyd a cag have done loads of research but am still not 100% but when we went to see him he was in a cage that would have been just about adequate for a cockatiel living on pellets to quote"sausage and chips he loves them".we immediately replaced his cage he now has 24'x34'x52' he has a variety of fruits for breakfast then later veggies with brown rice we try to vary this as much as possible although we give him a tiny bit of whatever we are having, we have also provided him with a variety of toys which for the first few days scared him although now he knows they along with us are there for his amusement lol.After 2 days of him being here he started chatting to us and hes now starting to let us touch him occasionally..we chat to him a lot of the time and leave the tv on for him when we cant be with him is there anything else we should be doing would be grateful for any tips that wwould give floyd the best quality of life that he could want

Hello and welcome!!! Small cage, sausage and chips? Oh dear... Floyd sure is lucky to have you now!

Sounds like it is going to take some time for Floyd to break out of his shell and become comfortable with you. It will happen though, don't worry :P. Fruits and veggies are wonderful, but I would recommend also supplementing them with pellets. They are easy as they don't spoil and provide lots of nutrition for the grey.

Congrats on your new child and welcome to the flock!!!

thanks we do give floyd a tropical mix which he was being fed along with his sausage and chips do people have to adoopt these birds thinking their going to impress their friends with their bird that talks? by not realising the intelligence and emotional needs of them????we also make sure he has vitamins, mineral blocks,cuttlefish so we are trying to make sure he has all he needs hopefully we are on the road to giving him a long and perfectly happy life

I hear as long as you givr him food w/ vitamins a vitamin sppplement is not needed. I also asked the qustion for a cuttle. Some use it on here some dont due to their birds getting work out on chewing wood toys. I think I done the thread on a cuttle.

Hi there, and welcome to the Grey forum. You'll like it here because there is a wealth of knowledge here. Some have just gotten their Grey such as you, and some have had their Grey for 20 years.

Dan & I have had our Grey for about 6 weeks now. But we visited him at the breeder for weeks before he came home.

I read what you are doing for Floyd, and it sounds like he has more than enough variety. If you have a good blend of food, and a balance of veggies & fruit that's a great start. Our Grey doesn't like fruit right now, but we keep offering it to him. He loves grapes though. As in everything, BALANCE is the key.

You have a great start.

Do your chips have salt on them? Salt is not good for a Grey - I've heard. We don't give ours any salt at all. Chips as in "french fries?"

Have an awesome day.

Kim & Dayo

Hi Emma,

It sounds like you are giving him plenty of space to adjust and lots of love. :-)

I don't see age mentioned. Do you know how old he is?

Thanks for joining the Forum and our Family. You will find we care immensley about each other and our Greys. :-)

Post some Photos of him when you get a chance, we love photos.

emmaj85867 Sounds as if you are giving Floyd a good varied diet, as long as he has plenty of veg & Fruit along with his pellets there's no need for the additional vitamins & cuttle bone.He is still just a baby so he will adapt fairly quickly to his new environment .Greys love routine, so try & stick to what ever routine suites you both,feeding times,time out of his cage etc..Any specific questions just ask.

Hello and welcome to the family, Emma, glad you joined our grey forum and look forward to hearing more stories of Floyd. You will find lots of information here in the threads throughout the varied topics, we cover most everything. We will be more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Sounds like some of the members have already given you some excellent advice. Please do post a picture of Floyd as soon as possible, we love to look at photos of each other's greys.

well i have to tell you all was sat watching tv last night having my usual convo with floyd when the phone rang got up answered it no one there 3 times it happened before i realised it wasnt our ring tone even lol i wouldnt have minded but even the bird laughed im sure he did and my poor dogs he calls and whistles for them they go running to be told to get out hes given us so much pleasure even in the short time we have had him i think im obsessed lol

emmaj85867 wrote:

have managed to upload pic of floyd on my profile a big acheivement for someone as computer illiterate as me lol

step by step... believe me you will learn to do more and more things all along the way - I can know because i am still driving people up the wall with questions that can only happen to me - and, even I have learned to upload photos, music etc.