NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Let's talk about poop

Zoom

Poop has become far more interesting to me since the birds moved in, and I've discovered each bird has his own distinctive poop as well as his own distinctive poop personality.

Oboe poops all the time, but little ones. He poops wherever he happens to be, but he hasn't pooped on my head for quite a long time.

Kazoo poops occasionally throughout the day. He's generally pretty particular about where he poops, and almost never poops on me. For that matter, he rarely poops anywhere other than his cage or his play stand. He poops before he flies.

Simon poops frequently, largely, and everywhere. He poops on me often. He poops immediately after every flight.

I'm wondering if this is a Grey thing or a baby thing. Are his pooping habits likely to change as he matures, or is he always going to poop everywhere? Should I buy some crappy shirts and just get used to being pooped upon?

I am interested in this too! Spencer poops big, poops small, poops everywhere, has no qualms pooping on me. I do have him semi-trained in that I can get him to "go potty" over the garbage if I ask, but unless i run to the can every 10 minutes, this doesn't help much. He does tend to hold some in while in the cage so I try to get 'the big poop' outta him when he comes out, but after that its little poos all over the place.

Spencer could sit on my head all day for all I care (and I know he wants to), if he just wouldn't poop on me ;) I wish there was a way to tell him that because I think thats a deal he would agree to LOL!

Poop has become far more interesting to me since the birds moved in, and I've discovered each bird has his own distinctive poop as well as his own distinctive poop personality.

Oboe poops all the time, but little ones. He poops wherever he happens to be, but he hasn't pooped on my head for quite a long time.

Kazoo poops occasionally throughout the day. He's generally pretty particular about where he poops, and almost never poops on me. For that matter, he rarely poops anywhere other than his cage or his play stand. He poops before he flies.

Simon poops frequently, largely, and everywhere. He poops on me often. He poops immediately after every flight.

I'm wondering if this is a Grey thing or a baby thing. Are his pooping habits likely to change as he matures, or is he always going to poop everywhere? Should I buy some crappy shirts and just get used to being pooped upon?

You already answered your own question ( 1st paragraph). Maybe your bird hasn't defecated on your head in a while but there's always many tomorrows.

More than likely they won't change. They're wild birds and each has their own ways of doing things. If your one of your birds poop everywhere, why should it stop doing the same thing? They're not the ones that are having a problem with it. The same thing applies to the others. No, it won't stop as they mature. Their aim will get better though. By the way, you shouldn't be allowing birds on your head and yes, always have old used shirts and or clothing around to use.

No, it's not a grey thing---it's a parrot thing.

Dave hit the nail on the head. I have to say that when our grey and zon are out and with us they will let us no when and we put them on their t stand. If they are flying around it`s every place and any place.

FOR A HIGH CLASS FORUM WE SPEND A LOT OF TIME TALKING ABOUT POOP.

Edited by Ray P

oooh...that's not what I wanted to hear! lol.

Now about birds on heads. Simon wants to get up there, but I don't let him. Oboe, on the other hand, he's been hanging out up there since he was four weeks old. I wouldn't be surprised if he's built a nest in my hair. He's a stubborn little guy, and I don't think there's any way I could keep him off my head at this point. (Why shouldn't they be up there, anyway?)

Babalu tries not to poop in his cage, so when I get him out the first poop is always a big one, then he will poop anywhere, even on me! He only cares about keeping his cage clean :) But I know the signs and can usually get him to trash can, sink or toilet.

My vet told me that a bird on the head= the bird trying to be more dominant. I don't personally care, except for the fact that I am suddenly washing my hair twice as much!

The only reason a bird flies on a person's head is because it's the tallest part of a person. If a person keeps his/her arms above the head all the time, he/she will eventually fly to the hand/fist/finger. Having a tree that has branches which are taller then the head of a person will cause the bird to fly to the branches. Flying on the head can be discouraged by using the lower arm/fist/finger method. Using those body parts consistantly so flying to the head will eventually be less attractive to the bird.

Domination has nothing to do with it. Domination is a word that's used much too loosely in the parrot world. Most of the time it doesn't describe the different real situations where the word is constantly used.

Edited by Dave007

We have a poop routine going here...lol.

First thing in the morning - just after changing out the food bowls and water - fresh paper under their porches. Porches get opened, everyone climbs out - POOP! Then I can pick up the paper - those are the worst of the day. Then it's when ever and where ever. I will say that Beau is more polite - he won't poop on me, but will climb down my arm and poop on the desk. Dixie always squats dramatically so I know when it's coming and I can get her moved. Blue and Bean have a tendency to poop out the front of their cage (no porch) and attempt to hit me when I'm putting the paper down. They've missed so far, but then again, there's always tomorrow.

Robin

I just read a very interesting article on droppings from bird talk's annual bird magazine (I picked it up for seven dollars at petsmart) It was highly informative. I'll try and post an exert later.