NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Rio Movie!

bran

I took off work early today to go see Rio and loved it, I highly recommend it to any bird lover, it was awesome to watch.

I am confused as to why they call him a blue macaw and not a hyacinth.

Actually the blue macaw they are referring to is the Spix macaw which is close to extinction in the wild.

I took off work early today to go see Rio and loved it, I highly recommend it to any bird lover, it was awesome to watch.

Actually the blue macaw they are referring to is the Spix macaw which is close to extinction in the wild.

The question still stands then. Why just call him a blue macaw? When I was little I loved learning about all different types of animals.

OMG I love love love this movie!!!! I saw it twice already and will definitely be a movie to add to our HD collection :D

Thanks for the information on the type of bird because I thought they looked so much like a cockatoo and was a bit confused myself but after seeing the pictures of an actual Spix Macaw I can see it.

Saw Rio today in 3D with my daughter. Tearing up all over the place. Even the first part of the movie where Blu is following his companion, Linda, throughout her daily tasks, it reminds me of my bond with Issac and I just get so touched. Just a great...great movie for bird lovers. The expressions on the blue macaws deliver many 'awe' moments. Anyone who likes birds will love the movie. I was really tearing up at the end...but I won't spoil it. I am a super softie for birds.

I think one of my favorite lines was, "Excuse me I am not a pet, I am a companion".

Loved the movie, just watched it, I will watch it again & more than likely buy it.

One little thing, there was scene where Linda gave Blue a Hot Cocoa and chocolate cookies. I really hope young Bird owners do not follow suit.

I wonder if it can have a warning ?

• 1 month later...

I'm Brazilian and I reckon they probably call him Blue Macaw because it's how we call that species in Portuguese (Arara Azul). Plus I guess it's easier for people to understand. Better than Hyacinth.

The book you're reading sounds so sad, Marcus. I feel really angry about people who destroy nature, capture animals, mistreat and kill them. I also feel ashamed to say I see it a lot in Brazil. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of control or punishment. In addition to that, the breeding culture isn't very popular in the country yet. So when the birds are legal, they are very expensive. And we are talking about a relatively poor country. Which is why it's so tempting for people to go for the illegal/captured/cheaper birds. :( The fact Blue Macaws are kinda rare makes them even more desirable. I just hope one day this will stop and all the birds will have a better future.

Edited by Popsicle