NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Safe air spray?

Eshana

I will simmer apples and Cinnamon or popuri on the stove. Store bought sprays have chemicals, and will shorten the birds life.

Apples and cinnamon are great....I personally wouldn't use the potpourri, some of the ingredients contain essential oils which can have effects on birds...some effects not immediate. You must also stay away from carpet cleaners, bathroom cleaners, bleaches, dog/cat sprays (and teflon) etc, etc, etc...

Have you seen those little crockpots they sell? If so then one of them would make an excellent vessel for putting anywhere in the house you need it, as long as you have a plug in then you are good to go.

I read that crock-pots were bad for birds like Teflon is. Oh I hope what I read was false because I LOVE my crock-pot and have since stopped using it after reading that they can be harmful.

I used to be a air freshener person until I got my birds, and then I asked a friend the very same question. I have done the apple and cinammon on the stove and made my own essential oil. That worked great.

Now I am in LOVE with my air purifier, it has taken all of the aroma's out of the air, and I have gotten soooo many compliments on how fresh our house is. I figure clean air is better to breathe than scented. Just an idea... might help you have a meeting in the middle if you will.

I'm super sensitive to chemicals so there are no air fresheners, perfumes, well, anything scented in my house, except for some natural essential oils. It makes it easy for me as I don't have to remember what I can and can't use around the birds. I also don't use toxic cleaners. It's all vinegar, baking soda, etc. I don't get sick and the birds don't die. :)

A friend gave me a crock pot and I've not used it. So, they're not safe either? All my teflon pans are long gone and I contacted the company that made the dehydrator I have and it's ok, but I hadn't contacted the company about the crock pot.

That Glade stuff is made of aromatic hydrocarbons, many of which are carcinogenic (to humans & birds), not to mention bad for your health and deadly to birds. Why not just open a window for fresh air? Good for everybody too. Any of the plug-in devices also emit aromatic hydrocarbons. All of these, so-called air fresheners are BAD for your health and the health of your birds.