NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

goin rate for a congo baby

bigbird519

just for my grey (not cages etc) I paid $1000 with tax. Pretty great deal if i say so. I know there's a chain pet store that sold my old room-mate his B&G for just over $2000 "on sale" yet my grey breeder only sells her for 1400-1600. Just make sure to do your homework on how they're raised and where they're coming from. I found some breeders that were a couple hundred less than the one I decided on, but passed them over because they could hardly tell me anything about baby development, what they did for socialization, etc. Sometimes a little extra money is worth the better upbringing. That said, $1800 for a breeder that refuses to leave the wings sounds a little steep and would throw up a few flags for me personally. I'm always wary of breeders of anything that are hardline "my way or the highway." You may be in a more expensive market though, can't say.

I asked my breeder to leave my baby's wings for as long as possible with the caviate that if he was getting into too much trouble to go ahead and clip. Which of course he did. I don't mind so much though because at least he got a couple weeks of flight, which i've been told/read will make him a little less clumsy overall.

Adoption can be fantastic, just make sure you pair yourself with a bird that you know what your'e getting into with. The higher your training competency, the more challenging bird you'll be able to "rehabilitate." Adopting a bird with bad habits that are way beyond your ability to handle and correct isn't doing either of you any favors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I paid $600.00 for Cody the breeder was asking $850.00 but since he has a disability and I think she felt somewhat bad about it she let us have him for $600.00 plus she seen how much in love we was with him even with his disabilty , we just loved him from the start and he is still our spoiled little grey :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I found that private breeders are less expensive than "pet shop" type businesses. My local "Wholesale bird and Cage" sells their CAG for $1400 whereas the breeder I bought Ajax from was only $900.

I think also the price depends upon availbility in your area. If no one but 1 person in a 200mile radius is selling CAG they can pretty much as for as much as they want!

The average price here in NY is 1200 dollars for a new baby grey. Don't worry about if a baby is " clipped!" their feathers grow back fast. They can learn to fly. My birds have been clipped at sometime during their life. They could all fly. It is important to develop a relationship with a trimmer when they are young. Sometimes just to clip nails, trim beak. My relationship with my trimmer of three different species, has been more important than with my vet. Sophie won't shower... she gets showered. Kiki thinks of visiting the trimmer as a " spa visit". Sunny just goes... so he can watch his girls! Nancy