NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

goin rate for a congo baby

bigbird519

so i was thinking about getting a CAG to add to the family. I found a breeder here in CO but not sure that i want to get one from her. I asked her if she clips and she insists on it. i told her that i would not get a clipped baby and asked if i could put a request for the wings to be left alone, she was not happy with my decision. anyway, my ? is this....

i paid 750 for my TAG from a breeder in CO. he only does TAG's and i lost his number. how much did all of you pay for your CAG's.... i am not trying to pry, but i am curious if there may be a cheaper state to pick one up.... out here the petstores sell em for about 1800, and there is no way i am going to pick one up at that price! not to mention that they are all clipped.

have you considered rehoming one? that's how we got kallie, her cage, toys, food and 1st vet bill paid. i had mentioned i'd always wanted a grey one time at my avian vet so they took my number. sure enough, kallie came along! sure she's 2 1/2 years old instead of a baby, but she'd only had 1 owner (who passed away) before we got her. she's been a joy so far, no issues so to speak except for being in her terrible 2's!

In MA a cag is $1200-1800. My cag was a rescue from someone who thought she was too noisy after owning her for 5 weeks, after buying her from her previous owner, I paid $650 for her and her cage, toys an accessories.

i have considered adopting. but out here people could really care less about there birds. they all want way too much money, not to mention all of the ones i have looked at are in terrible cages and so i would have to purchase a new cage anyway. lol, when the time comes, this will be an option. I would rather take one out of an enviroment that sucks that way it is a win win win situation. We will def be adopting a McCaw when the time arrises as well. my wife wants a hyancith but there is no way i am paying 10k for a bird lol

let your avian vet know you're interested then. it was over a year from the time i gave them my number and they called about kallie. honestly, i'd given up that there was ever going to be an opportunity. i don't know how rescue organizations work as far as time/money/home visit/etc. we had to have a home visit from the gal helping out placing this woman's 3 birds, which was fine with us. that way they knew kallie was coming to a good home. we had the chance to go for visits so she could get to know us a bit before the move since we waited to bring her home until all the birds had new homes. this only cost us time! we asked how much money they were interested in and were told none. we offered several times, but the family refused. they only wanted good homes for the birds.

My wife and I paid $900.00 for our CAG Corky over 10 years ago and that was a lot of money back than and we had to wait 6 more weeks befor she was ready to come home.

Plus we had to buy a large cage, food and toys ended up at anouther $500.00. The best money we ever spent.

Edited by Ray P

Guest jules420_91

We live in Ontario, Canada & when all was said & done our baby CAG cost us $1900.00. Of course that includes all of our lovely tax as well as DNA sexing, vaccinations & blood tests for health issues. In our opinion our baby Louie was worth every penny. We have a variety of different pets & love all of them but Louie is the closest thing to a 3rd child we have ever experienced. All of our pets are our babies but having a baby CAG goes a step beyond.

We re-homed Rorschach, a young girl was leaving for College soon after she put the ad online so she needed to find a home for him ASAP so we ended up with a sweet deal of $800 for him, cage and the toys. I was told by someone there is a breeder who sells their CAG's for $900 but I was never able to locate the breeder. The pet shop here had 2 baby CAG when I was there a few days ago and they were selling them for $2200 but had a 50% off sale and both had been sold.

In western Washington there are two bird shops that have CAGs right now one is $1399 the other $900. Includes testing for DNA and diseases, health guarantees, and that is pretty much it. We went to visit both stores and the $900 were way more socialized, and not as standoffish.

I paid 1350 for shelby plus 8% tax

but by the time i was done with a cage a playstand, toys

and accesorys i was in the hole for about

2300.00 but i had nothing and also i got

every thing that is top of the line. And i got everything

I needed up front...

Id spend every penny again I have no regrets

its only money

(I'm bringing mine home TODAY!)

Congrats!! I am to assume that you found a cage that will work then?

thanks for all of the replies. i gues that they are worth all of the money we put into them. I was hoping maybe they were over priced here in Colorado and that i could make a road trip to find a huge savings. lol

He's upstairs in a cockatiel cage for now. But after his quarantine period ends, he'll be downstairs in a much bigger cage. I got it second hand and it's a little smaller than I was hoping, but it's still a respectable size.

My local bird store in Los Angeles sells them for $1,200 - 1,300. That includes DNA sexing and initial lab work. They are handfed and socialized.

I got Z for $400 including cage, food and a shopping cart full (yes, a shopping cart) of toys. The owner is elderly and was no longer able to care for him.

Here in Los Angeles there are always several on Cragislist being sold by people that can no longer keep them. I was told about Z from a bird store.

The pet store where I adopted my grey for free sells baby CAGs for $1300. I feel like I really lucked out even if my CAG turns out to be older. I wish I knew why someone dropped him/her off though.

• 5 months later...