NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Picky picky eater...

bran

hi there!

I am having a little problem getting my TAG Dexter to eat some veggies etc. He likes all things that are sweet, like grapes and bananas, but we all know that the things that taste amazing, usually aren't the best things.

I have made a couple recipes such as the beanie mix and chop recipe from Parrot Nation, and my CAG Cooper LOVES them and yet Dexter picks through and will nibble, but mostly tosses the undesired ingredients aside.

Are there maybe some little tips that I can try to get Dexter to eat veggies? I have tried steaming a veggie blend, and still no dice. I want this little guy to be as healthy as possible.:confused:

i have 2 picky eaters myself! i've made 2 different versions of birdie bread so far. i've used apple juice instead of milk and ground egg shells in one of them. i've used apple sauce in both but different veggies in each. they take longer to bake due to the denseness of the ingredients. once they've cooled, i cut them up into cubes and put them in freezer bags to freeze. i take out however many cubes i need every couple of days. i've used sweet potato, apple, mixed beans (pre cooked), greens, carrots, peppers, jumbo millet, etc., but always apple sauce in each. as they like it or accept it, i plan on reducing the apple sauce and adding more veggies. in the future i want to add walnuts and almonds. there's lots of good ideas in the bird food threads!

Edited by thenabrd

I have actually tried around five different variations of birdie bread... including some of the recipes from this site, and even a premixed bag from my local parrot efficianato's. However Dexter hates them (he had no idea how I worked and toiled over a hot oven lol). I don't think he was exposed to many foods when he was younger, so he is a pellet guy. Guess I will keep trying... if I come up with something, I will definitely post something on here.

What kind of pellets does he eat? Took is also extremely picky and she always changes her mind about the food she will eat, everyday i have to double check she ate.

She doesn't love it, but she will eventually eat her harrison's pellets (taht's my back-up since somedays she will not touch her vegetable bowl). anyway- she will only the pellets when they are soft so i add a little water and mash them up. Inside of the pellet mash, i add one or two finely diced veggies . Harrison's mash really well (and then they dry out again so you have some room to play around). Took hates sweet potato, but i can mash some into the harrisons and she will eat it.

I still haven't been able to get her to eat anything green and leafy. She did munch on afinely diced broccoli stem a couple times but that fad didn;t last

Have you tried not sharing?

That works well too, just eat some of what you want him to eat and he will want it, like monkey see, monkey do they want what they see you eat. You may have to try the vegetables fixed in different ways for some like them raw, cooked, mashed, chopped and mixed all together, just get creative and keep offering them. Try weaving leaves of dark green leafy vegetables like kale, mustard greens, collards or beet tops, they will tear them up to get them out but may eat some in the process.

Try weaving leaves of dark green leafy vegetables like kale, mustard greens, collards or beet tops, they will tear them up to get them out but may eat some in the process.

Great idea! I'm going to try that tonight! Took's a shredder, like you said- most will end up on the floor but maybe something will get down. Thanks for the suggestion!

That's hom my little girl started with the kale, I put it in her foraging cage and she started tearing it up and dropping it to the bottom where she would then go to check it out some more. She doesn't always eat it, but she does more often than not.