NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Beaks and Powder?

MarcusCAG

Just a quick question, because everyone's avatars of their Greys show them with gloriously pitch-black beaks: do you wipe them off periodically--like before taking the aforementioned pictures--or do they pretty much stay all shiny and dark naturally? I ask because unless it's right after a misting shower, or he plays in his water bowl, Marcus' beak is all powdery-looking (like in my current avatar). Is this normal? or should I be doing something for him that I'm presently not?

Thank you...

Rorschach usually has a powdery beak too, it is more after he preens. I usually help him and wipe it after he is done.

On the topic of beaks, does anyone get their beaks dremmiled? I don't know how comfortable I am with the idea of taking Rorschach to get this done but I am concerned with the chipping. I have read about beak problems if something gets stuck under a crack.

yes, both of our birds have had their beaks dremilled (sp) by our avian vet when he thinks it needs to be done. it's not done at every visit, but probably done once a year, twice at the most (i take them in for "manicures", lol) of course they put on their oscar winning performance for best used, abuse, dying and unloved bird in history act. its the only time i get some cuddle time with our conure, otherwise, she's just "too grown up" for that, hahaha

yes, both of our birds have had their beaks dremilled (sp) by our avian vet when he thinks it needs to be done. it's not done at every visit, but probably done once a year, twice at the most (i take them in for "manicures", lol) of course they put on their oscar winning performance for best used, abuse, dying and unloved bird in history act. its the only time i get some cuddle time with our conure, otherwise, she's just "too grown up" for that, hahaha

We don't have an avian specific vet around here but there is a vet who apparently does minimum check ups and does clipping and dremmiling. I guess what I want to know is it necessary or is it mainly cosmetic? The vet I was speaking with (she had no bird experience) said that it is only necessary if the birds beak is over growing but other then that it is mainly for appearance... like you said "manicures" lol I just don't want to force Rorschach into this because I want him to have a pretty beak.

Just a quick question, because everyone's avatars of their Greys show them with gloriously pitch-black beaks: do you wipe them off periodically--like before taking the aforementioned pictures--or do they pretty much stay all shiny and dark naturally? I ask because unless it's right after a misting shower, or he plays in his water bowl, Marcus' beak is all powdery-looking (like in my current avatar). Is this normal? or should I be doing something for him that I'm presently not?

Thank you...

What you're seeing isn't dust of any kind. it's a buildup of hundreds of scratches that have scraped away the black shiny beak over a long period of time. It happens as greys get older and start exploring and rubbing their beaks on all types of surfaces. The shiny black beak usually starts disappearing at approx 1 to 2 yrs old and continues to collect more scratches. The shiny black beak is then gone for good. When fluid such as water is on the beak, it blackens and shines a bit but immediately goes away when it's dry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/P1010007a.jpg

Edited by Dave007

sorry for the confusion, the "manicure" is for their nails, lol!! our vet determines if their beak needs a touch up. he's mainly taking down rough edges and if needed small amounts of over growth. they chew wood and all that, but sometimes their beak just needs a bit of a tune up so to speak. the birds make a big fuss, but they always do at the vet, they're worse about seeing the vet than our dog! but once they're done they don't seem to mind and they seem to have no issues if their beak has been touched up. they are able to eat normally and chew on their toys as usual.

What you're seeing isn't dust of any kind. it's a buildup of hundreds of scratches that have scraped away the black shiny beak over a long period of time. It happens as greys get older and start exploring and rubbing their beaks on all types of surfaces. The shiny black beak usually starts disappearing at approx 1 to 2 yrs old and continues to collect more scratches. The shiny black beak is then gone for good. When fluid such as water is on the beak, it blackens and shines a bit but immediately goes away when it's dry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/P1010007a.jpg

Wow. I never would have guessed that, but it makes perfect sense. I realized the water-on-the-beak darkening effect was simply superficial, like wiping a countertop with a sponge, but I was just afraid perhaps that Marcus was deficient in something, or maybe he created too much dust. Thank you, Dave, for clearing that issue up for me!

My avian vet touched up the beaks of Dixie and Beau on their visit last year and suggested that I make sure there was "rough" bark in their cages for them to rub their beaks on to keep it from building up and chipping off. After he used the dremmel he rubbed their beaks with a little olive oil to make them shiny and dark.

Since that time I've included several types of perches that are rough just for this reason and included toys that have rough surfaces for them to chew on for this very reason. All following vet visits (every 6 months) have been dremmel free, but we do have weekly applications of olive oil for that just polished look.

Robin

We have different types of perches and since I moved the cement perch to where he prefers to sleep his nails have been more rounded which you can clearly see by looking at my hands they are no longer scratched up. I looked like I mutilated myself and I was starting to worry that other people would question it lol

I don't want to have Rorschachs beak dremelled unless he needs it, like if I notice any over growth. Does this make me a bad parront or is it ok to leave it alone?

Corky has never had a beak trim and she is well over 10 years old. She has many things in her cage that she plays with that keep her beak in good condition.

Perches, chew toys certain nuts in shells that she has to break open. We go to the lumber yard and get 2x4 cut offs for free (pine) and they love to destroy them.

Keep the beak going and the beak will be ok.

Thanks Ray, that was what I thought but wasn't 100% sure. So far his beak is fine, it does chip and he will rub it on his perches to file it down so he is doing well so far with taking care of his beak. I think the cement perch is by far the best perch we own because he keeps his nails and beak filed nicely.

Cheap or free wood is always a plus lol I live near a lot of wooded area so once the snow is completely gone I will be checking for some nice branches.