NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gilbert is home

katana600

That's funny Howardine, we were typing to post at the same time. When I tried not to imagine what you saw on the Amazon... it made me recall the middle east. My expat friends said when they spray your house, make sure they spray down the manhole covers in the courtyard, but never go look. Well, you KNOW I had to go look. The act of spraying makes it look like something from an Indiana Jones movie or the Mummy movies. When the lid comes off it boils with hundreds of thousands of roaches all trying to get out at once. And I was standing there in my bare feet.

I had been thinking about how frightened the little bird must have been. We have spiders (black widow and brown recluse) and rattlesnakes and scorpions also, and cockroaches and termites and all kinds of creepy crawlies, even fire ants. They are all just part of life.

How clever of Gilgirl! Isn't she amazing?

Ray, it's not the bear you need to worry about up there, from what I read, it's the marauding moose. LOL. You better stay put, Ohio would mourn your loss. Howardine, every night when I tuck her in and every morning when she greets my day, I think to myself how lucky I am to have found Gilgirl and what an amazing little spirit she has. This morning though, my first thought about her spitballs is that she is building an arsenal. She knew right where to store her handiwork to keep them from dropping through the grates where she wouldn't be able to get them in time for an aerial assault should she need them. How she got them compacted so tight with no parrot spit in sight is a mystery. In all seriousness, she is really opening up and finding her happy place. Last night she had some pine nuts for a snack and saved a few to give back to me as we said our sweet nothings at bed time. She hasn't been giving me those kinds of gifts since the first weeks she came to us. She is a little ball of energy and is promising a lot more interaction and delights to come.

Gilbert continues her adventurous activities such as closing and opening all the doors of her cage. It's kind of funny, last night she went inside, closed the door but not hard enough to latch it. Then she was begging to come out and my husband fell for it "Aww, does mama have you locked up?" I told him that I didn't shut her door, she did. Right while we were discussing it, she leaned over, gave it a shove to open it two inches as if just to prove she IS the one in charge and boy can she make things happen. She will do the bomb drop doppler whistle ten times in a row to get me to clap my hands and say "bomb's away". She is training me pretty well. Right in the middle she will start the bomb drop and change to a very similar whistle and sometimes I fall for it and clap and she will laugh. Sometimes I catch it and say "that's not it" and she laughs at that one too. She is really starting to show some emotions. She likes to be fed first thing in the morning and if I get distracted and sit at my computer with a cup of coffee she goes berserk. What? All that noise in the kitchen and you come in here empty handed? She hangs upside down flaps and does the pterodactyl scream. She then climbs down and forcefully snatches out the bowls with great effort and flings them clanging to the bottom of her cage. She used to jump when she made a loud sound. Now she turns and hunches over and stares directly at me and it is fearsome. I do get right up and give her her food, very effective that girl. Our bedtime ritual has always been an almond in the shell. When we went up north, my sister's dog had a pill every night that they wrapped in cheese. Then all the dogs got cheese. Now my dogs hound me for a piece of cheese every night. I get a half slice of American cheese and break it into tiny little squares and now Gilbert demands the first piece, every time. What is really exciting is that as I approach her cage, she is out on the top and leans way out and her eyes are glimmering with the tiniest signs of pinning. There is no doubt about it now. She has yet to get them to a tiny pinpoint, but they are starting to betray her usual poker face. Its exciting to see the way she comes out of her cage purposely for the cheese. Usually when anyone approaches her or shows her our hands, she will hurry inside and pose for a scratch but she generally would only accept treats or touches with the security of the bars between us. Slowly, slowly small changes are adding up. I still can only touch her through the bars but she will move and try to get closer to get me to reach way in to the back of her neck and she is closing her eyes and begging for more. Very very seldom now does she spin and try to bite me. On those occasions, she could have gotten me if she was really determined, I am not that quick and I am in past my knuckle. So she does have a little restraint and self control.

I had no concept of grey time before Gilgirl taught me. Just this week a neighbor asked why I don't bring her out on my shoulder. I told him she wouldn't like that because it would be too overstimulating and she might just bite my ear. He said "Well, what's taking you so long, you've had her almost three years." I told him parrots are on a different time schedule than we are and he grumbled that he never gets to see her. Well, that's because I do what is best for her on her schedule and not on anyone who isn't prepared to listen and learn. She isn't here for his entertainment value, she is here for companionship, both hers and mine. It was nice at first that others were interested, but only when they don't reach for her, try to prove something by showing the "animal" who is the "boss" or make demands. What's taking me so long... indeed. Harumph. Hahaha... he also asks dumb questions like the last ten topics of conversation have been about when I am going to cut down a tree (gee, look at me, do you think I am going to shinny up that tree and cut it down? No of course not, ask my husband, but I bet he will let you climb right up there with a chainsaw if that's why you want to know.) I've got a suggestion, it won't reach from my back lot to your house, so don't park in my driveway and you should be safe. I have discovered I am more patient with parrots than neighbors. LOL. Miss Gil did not get the message on changing the clocks and is quiet wound up today... no pun intended. She is trying new foods, ate a bit of my scrambled egg this morning and she is really looking for more interaction. I love that little face no matter what time she gets up in the morning.

Miss Gilbert has been showing signs of wanting to follow us when we go to the basement. I have been sewing eight to ten hours a day and she calls out to me. Today is a football day and hubby watches in the basement den next to my sewing room. We were both down there while she was calling out to us. I came up, asked her to step up and she still is not ready for that kind of "closeness". I got a perch, held it in my hand and extended to see if she was ready to step up from her cage top to a perch. Nope. Even though I was three or more feet away, talking to her softly, telling her what I wanted to do, she got such a frightened look and leapt off her cage. Once on the floor, she was eager to clamor up on my hand. Instead of returning her to her cage as I usually would, I carried her gently down the basement steps. I have taken her down with me at least ten times. A couple of times she made it almost ten minutes before getting into a hyperventilating panic. This time, I went to my sewing machine, sat down and transferred her to my shoulder. I sewed a few seams, pressed a few sections as I sewed and she was making every siren sound she has ever heard... loudly and right in my ear. She fearfully announced it was time to go night night a couple of times. David came up and took our photo and she then tried to follow him. As she launched from my shoulder, over the sewing machine, her foot was snarled in the thin thread as it fed from a cone to the machine. She panicked as she hit the floor. She was caught. Netted. She rolled and screamed and flapped and pushed herself under a shelf that was only an inch or so off the floor. I was able to calm her down and to release her from the thread she had around her talon. She was so scared. She huddled right against me and was growling and in quiet a state. I calmly took her back upstairs to the safety of her cage and told her "its okay honey, you are not quiet ready for prime time." That is when it hit me. What a perfect name. She is a petite little comedienne just like a favorite of mine from Saturday Night Live back in the day. Since she has transitioned so well from Gilbert to Gilgirl, I think I am going to try calling her Gilda as a tribute to Gilda Radner. It even gives us a new catch phrase to teach her when she is ready for a new word. In the words of Roseanna Rosannadana "Oh? Nevermind"

Last night was magical. Again. Gil was not wanting to stop the snugglefest and go to bed. Of course, every time I tried to walk away and she made the familiar sound of a human baby cry as she only does during those quiet gentle moments. She grasped the cage bars and tucked her head and I was not about to let the moment of opportunity pass, so I obliged. When I finally had to stop and turn off the light, she did her usual soft surprised little "hey" and a few "whoo"s for good measure. But as I answered her back from my bed and told her goodnight, I was stunned to hear her reply. From the darkened living room I heard the sweetest little voice say "Night night Gilda". It has taken a decade or so for the collective "us" to figure out she is a girl, two more months to let the right name come up and she accepted it and repeated it in under two days. What a brilliant and special little girl she is. I was awake at 4:30 am and couldn't wait to get out of bed to see her again.

That photo and Gilda's night night moments of touching and talking is so precious. It describes the moment you and all of us here have been waiting for. You are an example with the patience of Job that others rehoming parrots should look to for advice and strength during the long process of bringing a severely neglected grey out of the shell of fear. Thanks for sharing this special moment and photo.:)

This little girl has changed me. Never have I worked so hard without a visible measure of progress. Never have I felt so utterly out of my depth and not had any answers and just had to accept and wait. When I see the tiniest glimpse of hope, I start getting ahead of myself thinking about her potential. All that potential is still untapped. The one thing that is warming my heart is how she is now leaning against the bars at night when she wants to be touched. She is almost leaning into my palm now. Then, when I turn off the light, she is adorable with the solicitations to come back out. The real happy dance comes out of me though when I watch her watching my face. She listens so intently and she doesn't have that hard-edged, suspicious, tension and her chest seldom trembles. I have learned that if I put my hands behind my back, she leans real close and watches my mouth move. Just those two words when she called herself Gilgirl and then Gilda last night are intoxicating. We are at a crossroads where she is throwing off her encumbrances and throwing caution to the wind and starting over. Nothing has come easily for her and I am in the position to watch a miracle of life unfold. Thank you Gilda.

Edited by katana600
typo

Oh goodness, the wait has made the progress so much sweeter. Many days I wondered what I could do for her and it all amounts to taking the advice from seasoned grey companion forum members to just build trust and wait. She is doing some wonderful things like approaching me as I come near her zone. I keep my hands behind my back still and stand a few feet away and if she takes a step toward me, I take a step toward her and wait. We are slowly slowly making progress. In earlier times, she would skitter inside her cage as I approached. Now even when she isn't too sure, she will hang out on a shelf on her door, I take that as her wanting to keep those bars between us for her boundary and I stay a little ways away and hand her treats. Last night, she tucked her head and let me scratch her, still through the bars, but out of her usual comfort zone. I leaned over and kissed the top of her little foot and she said "whoo". Also with her newfound mojo, she is getting a little fiesty. She learned yesterday she could reach her UV light. She shocked me when she grabbed the bulb! I went over and pushed her cage a little further away from it and she put up a hissy fit. In five minutes, she learned how to maneuver so she could grab that bulb again. The light is against the wall in the corner, so I moved her cage again. She went on top and shredded papers and griped at me for an hour. LOL. She hasn't bothered with that light for three years. I am not sure what she is up to, but the girl has skills. I foresee some minor battles coming up as she gets more confident and wants her own way though. Who would have thought, I would look forward to seeing her make messes and challenge me to a duel? Bring it on Gilda.

Dan, when I read that I thought you were talking about your dating as in courtship days. LOL. I think those Three Stooges skits are timeless, so you don't need to date yourself. Kim's a pretty good catch. Gilda has gotten out of her "stuck" phase and now I never can predict what she is going to do next. I pretend we just had our compliant baby days and she is reinventing her childhood. Fitting, since that is what I decided to do about a decade ago when I went into a 'first childhood' myself. Hahaha.. At least she seems to have gotten past her door slamming phase for now. She is spending far less time sitting still these days. She was a whirlwind when she got the notion she wanted to eat a lightbulb. It was kind of fun to see her fling things and rip up paper and then regroup to find a new way to get to the light again. I am going to have to up my game. To see her play and go from toy to toy after such a long time that she was scared and shut down is worth anything she brings as she works through some demons. The fact that she is saying her new name and still calls herself Gilgirl from just days ago is mesmerizing. I take that as a sign that she is interested and engaged and she has almost decided to stay and make the best of this family.

The one thing about a grey is you can never say never. I think they take that word as a challenge.

You just may see the first flight of Gilda girl as she fly`s off in search of evil to stomp it out to save her one and only Dee from it`s clutches.

What a story that would make.