NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introducing Kazoo

Zoom

Kazoo is a 13-year-old double yellow headed Amazon. I've had him/her for four months now. He spent all his life with one family, who finally decided to give him up because they felt he wasn't getting enough attention. They loved him, but he was being increasingly neglected as time went on. The woman was very concerned about finding him a good home, and asked me to stay in touch and give her updates, so I send her an email on the 13th of every month. She also said if I ever decided to give him up, she wanted me to call her first.

Anyway. He's a lovely bird. He bit me once by accident, but other than that he's been very gentle. He's taken his time gradually learning to trust me.

He's been so nice and easy to have around I decided to add a Grey to the mix. But the day after I put the deposit down on my baby Grey, Kazoo started being not so easy. Whereas before he had always been content in his cage, on his cage, on his playstand or on my shoulder, suddenly he had an urge to explore the house. Closets, furniture, windows, cabinets, everything. He's like a baby who just learned to crawl, only he flies!

So he's suddenly requiring a lot more supervision than he used to. And he's destroying things, like my winter coat which was hanging in the closet and which he tore up. And he eats the closet door if I close it.

I don't mind that much, but I'm wondering if I bit off more than I could chew when I decided to get a Grey too. The Grey (Simon) will be arriving in a couple of weeks. I think I'm going to have my hands full with two of them! (And the cat, and the lovebird.)

Wish me luck!

oh I feel your pain and I wish I had any advice... you probably have more experience with birds then I do. We re-homed Rorschach back in August and the more comfortable and confident he gets with flying the more trouble he seeks. The last few weeks he has been flying above the cupboard, we had a globe sitting there and at first he started to kiss it and then a few days he was biting it and then he broke the world, the globe rolled off and landed on the floor... I was glad it didn't roll on him. The other day he started chewing on the moulding... I wouldn't care about this so much if I wasn't renting... eek! We can hide it, the damage is not that bad.... Time to go toy shopping I think!!

Good luck

We have a congo grey and a blue front zon and we live in a log cabin so you think you have fun come and join me Corky and Cricket in a whole house play ground.

What we do is have time out supervision and they do very well with that. They are in and out of their cage through out the day.

Hi Zoom, thank you for posting about Kazoo. I would love to see a picture or two, if you get a chance. I re-homed my 3 year old Louie, BFA, about 6 months ago and he is a joy to have around. His previous owner told me he was wild, he wasn't handled after the husband became ill and was basically locked outside. He tries very hard to try to come to me, but he is still very leery so I have been very patient with letting him move at his own pace. He is out of his cage most of the day and is a VERY big wood chewer. He has destroyed most of the wooden parrot toys in the bird room and luckily is not a molding chewer. I buy him lots of baby plastic toys at the local thrift shop to keep his beak busy. I have made him a couple of nuts and bolts toys that he can unscrew in a flash. He is always busy!!! I find my zon to be a much busier parrot than my grey or ekkie, so he is the one that I buy toys for.

Amazons do get hormonal so that may be the reason for the sudden change in his behavior, if you take a look around the amazon room you will find some threads that deal with this problem, I say problem for it is more of an amazon thing than a grey thing so Shelly may be right on.