NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Plucking progress!!! + Red Factor?

gotfaith1989

I am very excited that after having Rocky for 4 months now and trying many interventions, I can see progress in Rocky's feather plucking! First we tried Red Palm Oil (1/4 teaspoon), which I have been using on his Zupreem pellets everyday. Then I cut his seeds (he was getting half seed, half pellet). I tried bathing with aloe vera juice and plain H2O but he hated it so much and I hated to stress him out that I found a different way to get in a bath every once in awhile...he tolerates being on my shoulder while I'm taking a shower every once in awhile. When we FIRST began to see the difference was definitely when I bought the UVB Full Spectrum Lamp for him. He has also been sitting at the window on a perch when it is really sunny outside and he LOVES it. And OF COURSE those awesome head scratches I give him for HOURS at a time!!!!!

0101111736.jpgThis is Rocky when we first brought him home (December 31st)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20134[/ATTACH] January 11th (began red palm oil/baths)

rockyfeb5.jpgFebruary 5th (I was gone on vacation for a week while my hubby watched Rocky...we began the Full Spectrum Light RIGHT before I left, but I think there was a tad of a relapse here since I was gone.)

Feb14.jpgFebruary 14th (Back from my vacation...signs of improvement!)

March 15th.jpg March 15th....NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of improvement!!!!!

0315111614.jpg My favorite feather on him! Let's pray he doesn't pluck it :) He has a couple other random red feathers on him, but nothing quite as obvious as this one! Does this mean he has Red Factor?

Edited by gotfaith1989

oh wow that is totally awesome :D I have read stories about plucking being a hard habit to break but he has healed so fast and beautifully. I think you did a fabulous job!!!

My guy has red feathers and from what I read it could be either red factor, a health issue or sometimes young greys will have them on their legs which they can lose during a moult. I don't know if bad health has actually been proven to be the cause of the stray red feather so if your Rocky has had a vet visit and a clean bill of health then I wouldn't stress about that.

Rocky does show signs of improvement and maybe the vet will be able to shed some light on the plucking problem too.

He does have some red feathers, its called red factor and it may or may not molt out the next time, let us know what the vet says and keep us informed.

Guest jaquiscorpio
Rocky is nice and healthy according to the vet! He said I'm doing everything correctly for Rocky! So glad he got a clean bill of health! :)

thats great news :) well done