NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

<3 Not new to birds but new to Greys

Quinton

I just have a couple of questions, from surfing the forum I see not all greys are very cuddly. My grey is hand tame, but he has only known his breeder as a human and we are his first family, he is almost a year old. I know is early in our relationship but do you think he will become more hand tame for us? If he flies off of his cage he will step up for me to help get him back to the cage.

He also is a theif. I had a slice of pizza on my plate and turned to get a drink and when I turned back around he had the slice of pizza. I got it from him minus a bite or two, so we will be more careful of that now!

All advice is very welcome.

Thats right, not all greys are cuddly and some that are cuddly when babies grow out of that stage as they become more independent, you should be prepared to have a grey that does not cuddle and if they do then count yourself truly blessed.

Thats funny about the slice of pizza but whats is yours is his too, if he sees you eating something he wants to share it with you, just like a child that sees you doing something and they want to join in, you are part of the flock and the flock shares with one another so yes you will have to be more clever next time.

My main question is will he become hand tame enough to step up regularly. Not cuddling is ok with me I just need him to step up for me in case of an emergency or vet trips. He is hardly ever IN his cage unless he is napping, he flies sometimes to the bedroom if he cant see me. He is such a cat, he is so funny, he is such a baby though you can tell in some ways how he acts. I love him so much already.

My Quaker is an extreme cuddle bug, I understand if that doesnt suit him, I just need him to step up for me or my husband in case something were to happen. He keeps trying to fly as I type this, and is aiming toward me :o

These birds are scary smart too, he has a chain toy and a rope toy and is trying to tie the rope through the chains.

Fluffing, what does it mean when they fluff. My Quaker has a sweet fluff and a "I will bite you if you touch me" fluff.

Read thru this thread on body language as it will help you to identify what the bird is telling you:

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?109373-Body-language-most-frequently-seen

Yes you need to work on training him to step up and I would do that several times a day for a few minutes each time and preferably in another room away from his cage as they seem to do better with it. I believe there is a thread in the Training room on teaching the step up command.

Hi,

I think what Judy says is correct - some are cuddley others aren't. My grey, Bella, is extremely cuddley, to the point of being demanding about it. But from what I'm hearing that is not often the case.

I can appreciate the "thief" aspect. Bella steals pens. She stole one from a friend who was working at my house and flew up on to her perch with it. He thought he could bargin with her, so he got a cashew and held it up to her thinking she would drop the pen in exchange for the cashew. Wrong! Bella took old of the pen with her foot and held it back nearly behind her back and then reached out with her beak to take the cashew! We laughed so hard! My friend was dumb founded!

On another occasion, she and I were enjoying a bit of NY strip steak. She had her little bowl next to my plate. The phone rang, so I got up to get it. When I returned, she had skewered my steak and was trying to lift off with it! Needless to say the dogs were rooting her on as they saw that lift off going no where other than the steak landing on the ground and that meant it was theirs!

Thiefs - oh yes! and Crafty ones!

Cheers!

Terri