NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wings Clipped :(

tbird

A while back I have posted a comment about when I bought Sunny home his wings were clipped :(. I want to know how long before they grow back he just turned one year old. I just want to know if anyone has gone through this process. If I would have known I would have told the breeder not to clip his wings. Thanks in advance for your comments…

It will take a while as the wing feathers do not grow in all at once, usually several of them will be replaced then several more so that the bird is still capable of flight, the tail feathers do the same. In the wild a bird must be able to fly at all times and so they molt out at different stages so it may take a year or so before they are all replaced. Glad to hear you want to let Sunny's wing feathers grow out.

When I got Ana Grey, she was clipped. It took about a year for Ana Grey to become flighted. I brought her home 11/29/08 and she took her first real flight on 11/14/09. I did ask her breeder not to clip Ana Grey but she did anyway. Sometimes I wonder if she and I are so very close because she was not flighted and she had to be very trusting of me to care for her properly. I'll find out because I have asked my new CAG's breeder not to clip Isabella. So I will find out if it makes any difference at all. Just be patient and Sunny will be flighted in no time!!!

Dayo was clipped before the breeders would let us bring him home, despite our plea's and objections. It was 2 years before all flights were in. However, as they slowly came on, he did started having good flight abilities at around a year old. Nothing compared to what they have when are primaries are full though.

Abby got her wings clipped by me after i got her cause her flight was not the best and she kept hitting my fish bowls and almost knocking them off the counters .... (not to mention not bad it must have hurt) and breaking feathers .... when she broke over 3 feathers in a row on her left wing and she could not change altitude or anything easly she started to hit more things when she flew so i felt for her own saftey i had to clip them ... now over a year later she has one wing fully flighted and fixed .... but she keeps breaking the ones on her left wing and they never ALL grow back in ... she might get a few long fully flighted ones ... butshe gets excited and trys flying too soon .... falls and breaks the few strong full flight feathers she does have .... its crazy ... I cant figure out what to do exactly ....