NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

it's official, we have a girl!!!

thenabrd

well the dna results are in and we have us a beautiful girl! yea, i'm not the only girl in the house anymore!!! depending on the dna results, i had wanted to call her mellona or lona for short (to honor her original name honey), but my husband really didn't like it, sooo, her name is kalliope, or kallie for short. our husky's name is hermes and our peach front conure is athena (2 years in we found out athena is really a boy, lol) so keeping with the greek mythology theme we seem to have started, we settled on kalliope, one of the nine muses and it's supposed to mean "beautiful voice". her name was honey, so now we're calling her kallie honey and will slowly drop the honey part off. now for the big job of teaching her to step up. she's fully flighted right now and this has been difficult to teach since she can fly away. i'm undecided about having her wings clipped even a little bit and will discuss this with her vet at our next visit. i've read all i can find here and other places regarding this and its a huge decision not taken lightly. i know a neutral area for training is best, but getting kallie to a neutral place is also part of the process right now. oh well, i'll keep trying until we get it figured out!

Congrats on your little girl!! What other birds do you have? I went to a breeder yesterday to buy a grey. Hope it is a girl too. I have to buy a cage & get ready for her. She is only 18 days old so it will be a while before I get to bring her home.

thanks! i also have a peach front conure named athena. she (is really a he but we found that out 2 years into having her, so he has remained a "she") is 8 years old. we also have a husky named hermes, he is 12 1/2 years old. kallie is 2 1/2 years old and we've had her 3 weeks now. her previous owner passed away, so that's how we came to have her. she is pretty outgoing from what i've read about greys and very vocal. she makes lots of sounds and is now starting to say words. congrats on your new baby!! i hope you get the girl you want!!

honey was an ok name, but there is nothing yellow or golden on a grey, lol!! i wanted to honor her 1st name with mellona or lona for short (a minor roman goddess for beekeeping and honey) but my husband really, really didn't like it. so i decided we'd wait on the dna results and start there. i hadn't been using lona with her yet, so there won't be that confusion. we'd already gone through the "think we have a girl and a couple of years later find out we really have a boy" thing and i didn't want to do that again. it gets confusing at the vet when the vet is saying he and i'm saying she, lol!!!! so athena is still athena, the "prettiest girl in the wholest world" (she likes saying that, hahaha) i guess every one needs a "confused" (for what ever reason) member in their family, so athena is ours, hahaha!!!