NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

please help

my grey

It's nothing to worry about. Once in a while all parrots lose their wing and tail feathers because the feather has dried up and is ready to fall out so that a new fresh feather can replace it. It will happen at any time, a few times and at any time of the year. No, the bird isn't molting, just replacing old feathers. Sometimes you'll even see more than one feather at the same time.

Calm down. From time to time you may find a feather in the cage and that does not mean there is trouble. They replace feathers one or two at a time and as long as there does not seam to be a injury and no blood and your baby is active and eating normal he is ok.

I once read about birds feathers grow symmetrical , if they loose a feather on one wing they will lose the same feather on the other wing obviously for flight alignment so they are not flying in a circle. I thought that was pretty neat that their bodies already know to do this :)

Rorschach is currently missing what seems is 2 feathers from each wing. I didn't notice this until I was trying to get pics of him flying, it appeared like someone had clipped them. I was a little concerned at first but figured that since he looses other feathers it would be normal to lose and replace wing feathers... and boy did he lose feathers, I am sure he was just moulting because there was a lot of down feathers flying around and he had a lot of new pin feathers on his head. You should have seen me the day I first discovered a pin or blood feather, it was pretty hilarious. I was freaking thinking there was something stuck in his skin. I looked at it closer I noticed it looked like it was growing out of his skin, I of course went online to find out what new bird feathers look like.. so relieved he was not hurt.