NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Me and my little flock

Zoom

Hi. I live with a giant orange pussycat named Duncan, a 7-month old lovebird named Oboe, and a 13-year-old Double Yellow Headed Amazon named Kazoo. We recently put a deposit down on a baby African Grey Congo who will be coming home in early April.

I got Duncan at the Humane Society several years ago. I raised Oboe and his siblings from the age of two weeks. I adopted Kazoo three months ago from his original family.

I love them all a lot, and they all seem pretty fond of me too. I can't wait for the new baby to arrive.

I've done a lot of reading, but I have two questions I hope someone here can help me with.

1) I understand his name should be something easy for him to pronounce. Can you give me some general guidelines about what makes a word easy to pronounce? Should I avoid certain letters? Only use one or two syllables?

2) In terms of health and quarantining. Is quarantining to protect the new bird, the existing birds, or both? The baby is coming from a very reputable breeder. I doubt that he will pose any risk to my other birds. The Amazon lived in a one-bird family his whole life until I got him a few months ago. He seems very healthy. The lovebird has been exposed to other lovebirds - his parents and siblings from two clutches. He and his parents all seem to be perfectly healthy. But I understand lovebirds can carry (but not show symptoms) of diseases that could be very harmful to Greys. I don't have a huge amount of money for vets, but I want to take any essential precautions. Should I take the lovebird to the vet and have him tested for these diseases?

Thanks for any light you can shine on these questions.

Hello Zoom and welcome to our family, so glad to hear you are adding a baby grey to your flock, you are in for some greyt times.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

The quarantine period is to protect them all as the new one might have a disease that you don't want the others to be exposed to and vice versa. If you want to take your lovebird and have it tested then that is up to you and your new grey should be vet checked even though it comes from a reputable breeder, its just good common sense.

If you want to share some pictures of Obie and Kazoo we have an other birds room where you can put some of Obie and we have an amazon room where some of Kazoo can be shared.

There's very few diseases that parrots can have that don't show themselves. These diseases are extremely serious and death can occur. Most of these birds need long term treatment with avian DRs. Some will get sick and it'll be obvious. Others will get sick but never show any symptoms. They're know as carriers. Most of the diseases that I'm thinking about will usually kill a small parrot. The reason for quarantine of a new bird is to make sure that the new bird is healthy and can be mixed in with other healthy birds. I don't know where you heard that lovebirds are carriers of any diseases. If the lovebird was a carrier, the first bird to get sick from it would be another lovebird. If the lovebird is a carrier, it would have gotten it from the original parents and others in the clutch may have also been affected. You say all the birds were well including the parents. A carrier of a disease will more than likely infect other species besides greys ( For instance, your amazon, not just greys ). Any of those avian diseases won't affect 4-legged animals. Personally, I think what you heard or read is wrong. Thousands of people have lovebirds mixed in with other species of parrots and have no problems.

The birds that are considered high risk carriers of diseases are the wild birds outside ( birds that can't be pets) such as chickadees, titmice, sparrows, robins, crows, juncos, orioles and more. They're known as natural carriers

Many deers are also carriers of disease ( deer ticks).

Many rodent type animals in the wild are also carriers ( rabbits, squirrels, rats, mice)

Your best bet would be to stay with a bird board such as this one so that you can actually see specific problems concerning greys and other species.

About the biggest compaint concerning lovebirds is that they're very loud and a small amount of greys will imitate it.

Disease? I don't think so but if a vet check will make you feel better, go for it.

***I understand his name should be something easy for him to pronounce. Can you give me some general guidelines about what makes a word easy to pronounce? Should I avoid certain letters? Only use one or two syllables?***

A grey will pick up just about any name or sound that's appealing. Not all greys like the same thing. It's an individual thing.

As far as actual talking, it's not a good idea to only use one word. Greys are well known for imitating sentences and those sentences should have highs and lows in it.

Understand that some greys may never talk in the human language at all so don't get the bird because of talking abilities.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks Judy and Dave, for taking the time to reply. That's reassuring that my little lovebird probably isn't carrying some secret hidden plague. I had heard this information on the Eclectus forum a few months ago, when I was still trying to decide between an Eclectus and a Grey.

I'm toying with the names Simon, Wilbur, Finn, Flynn or Avery for my baby Grey.

Welcome! You've come to a great place full of wonderful members who are eager to help & share in this new life-long adventure. The personal experiences give a more realistic viewpoint of living your life as a parront. Be sure to get all the health records for your new baby + locate an avian vet with a good reputation.

Your possible name of Simon really jumped out at me! Guess it's my inner child having fond memories of playing 'Simon says' so long ago.

Hey I am new to parrots let alone Greys, I didn't even know anything about issues with difficult names. I think we probably gave ours a very difficult name because I had a time saying it to be honest. It wasn't until he started saying his name that I actually started calling him by name. His name is Rorschach (rawr-shack) it didn't roll off the tongue if ya know what I mean. David (bf) would repeat his name and call him by name all day while I was at work and he eventually picked it up and he says it very clearly and he seems to LOVE it! He is always saying " Hey RAAWWR SHACK!" or my personal favorite "Do the Rawrrrshack" (quot my bf and I love from the new shriek movie "Do the rawr!" )

I like Simon, thats stuck out to me as well. :)

I met my baby last night! I got to pick him from five little boys. I took someone's advice from somewhere on this forum - I can't remember exactly where I read it, but someone suggested letting the baby pick you. So I kneeled down and started talking to them, and they all hung back except for one little boy who toddled right over to me. I picked him up and he snuggled right in. He was so warm and soft and affectionate. He gently explored my nose and chin and fingers with his beak and tongue, and he really seemed to like my voice. We were both smitten. (I was so happy about that, because I usually have trouble making decisions.)

I can't wait to bring him home. Four more weeks. I still haven't decided on a name, but I'm leaning towards Simon.

Yes sometimes it happens that way that the bird picks you but no matter which one you get it will eventually come to love and trust you, it just takes time, glad you got to see the babies and now it is a waiting game and that is the hardest part.

Welcome!

With Greys, a simple name is not necessary at all. If they decide to use a word or phrase, they can say it just as well as you can, down to sounding exactly like you or the voice they decide to use. Half the time my wife thinks I am talking to her. :P