NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greys, Dogs, and other generalized questions.

RobertsKitty

As most (ok some) of you know, while I have done all my homework etc. I will not be able to get a Grey for another 2 years (or after I am married) this is because living at home there are several issuse regarding getting a Grey. The first is the fact that my parents own a bird dog. We aren't worried for the bird's saftey nearly as much as to dog's sanity. Having the bird in the house might very well drive my dog insane. I have two guinea pigs that live in my room (the back room) and when they get squeaking loud she sits outside my door for hours.

Another key problem would have to be that my mom flat hates birds. She thinks they are discusting and that something in their poop is toxic to humans etc. I would have to re-arrange my furnature to be able to accomidate a cage and such.

Also I worry because the bird would (as said above be in a back room because that is where my room is) I am only home a few hours out of the day due to school, work, and being with my fiance. I don't think it would have enough interaction time.

Any ideas?

Well first if you think the dog would go nuts, then I wouldn't recommend one. My Sun Conure was rehomed because the prior owners got a puppy, and Both teh dog and the bird went crazy LOL So go with your gut on that one. I've seen cats and dogs alike turn their noses up at birds and not really care one way or the other. Most of the time the bird just learns how to whistle for the dogs and scold them LOL which would equally drive them batty!

Everyone is entitled to not like a certain animal, I don't like goats, somethin about their eyes LOL. As far as their poop being toxic, if your mom ingested her OWN feces she would get sick too, There is bacteria in ALL feces, doesn't matter which animal it is.

As far as time I wake up at 8 everymorning. I cook the birds breakfast real quick, say good morning, open the windows, then leave. I go home at lunch, which its my lunch right now so I'll be heading out the door in a minute, and I check on them since I live so close and make them lunch. Then I don't get to go home until around 5:30 at which the birds are out of their cages from 5:30 until they crawl back into their cages for bed around 9 or so. Do they get tons of out of cage time, not as much as I'd like, but I also know people who's birds only get out for an hour a day so I can't beat myself up over it too much.

It sounds like theres more negative than positive of getting a CAG now while living at your parents, but only you can be the judge of that!

Then it looks like to me you are going to have to wait until you are married or out of the house to get that grey. It is your parent's home so they make the rules.

Loviechick gave you some excellent advice, and I cannot add much but you are the one with the decision and I know you will make the best one and if that means you have to wait, then you wait.

It is like having children, it is a lifelong committment and is not to be taken lightly, just like marriage.

We will stand by you whatever decision you make and I won't ask you to give us any more questions, you have asked more than any one person I know. Not complaining, so don't get your feathers ruffled, just stating a fact.

I know you want a grey real bad but it might not be the best time to get one, so think this over long and hard before you do anything else.:)

Well as you say , you wont be able to get a grey for another couple of years,but you are doing the right thing by doing the research & asking questions.

I wouldn't consider a grey while you are still at home, especially as your Mom doesnt like birds,Greys are sensitive birds & would pick up on this negativity.They do need interaction with you as they regard you as part of the flock.You need to wait until you leave home & can commit 100% to a greys needs.<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2007/08/31 21:36

She should be the best grey owner on the planet, she asked enough questions to fill a 6 inch binder.:laugh:

Other prospective grey owners should do at least some of the research she had done before they purchase, and she will be prepared for that day when she finally becomes a grey owner.:P

I have 5 dogs: a rat hunter, a rabbit hunter, a boar hunter and 2 cattle herders. So while none are bird dogs, per say, they are all very prey driven. The first few days were the hardest on the beagle, but she has finally been able to relax and even hangs out on the couch with us. She still hangs out under Pryde's cage, but now it is to eat dropped food. It is amazing how fast these food mongers learn where to get fed. Logan, one of my rottweilers, got an entire brussle sprout. An edible ball, best thing EVER! :silly:

Well I do have a Bird Dog (Black Lab) and a Birdie (CAG) and they get along just fine. Never any issues between them. Bird Dog knows we like Birdie so she doesn't bother him and Birdie knows to give the Dog room.

Bird Dog started eating peanuts after she saw that we were giving them to Birdie. (its pretty funny... the dog will actually shell the peanut before it attempts to eat it) And Birdie tries to play with the golfballs that Bird Dog is always playing with ;)

I have dogs but my birds are never allowed on the floor or near the dogs. Even doing that I still worry about dogs getting to my birds. It can happen. Even though none of mine are bird dogs I still keep a close eye. Never let them near each other ever!!!!

As my dogs go to rest (pass on) I well not get anymore. It is just not a good mix ever.

You have a made a smart choice to wait.

I have four cats, one being a young and curious kitten, one dog of feral breeding and aggressive in nature, one lizard, two kids, thirteen birds. I do allow the birds on the floor, along with other out of cage time with no problems. It is also a common practice in my home for "mom time" in my room, on my bed. During this time, there will be two kids, a few cats, and a bird or few, on the bed and a dog on the floor looking for a spedk of bed to lay claim to, all content and happy. The key is SUPERVISION!

I had 4 dogs, 4 cats and a CAG - the dogs were afraid of Pepper, and the cats could have cared less!!! I had Pepper fly to the floor onto one of my dogs - you should have seen the pitious look the dog gave me - like get it off me please :( . She didn't try to move, just lay there.

My four legged animals knew they would get the evil eagle eye if they even drooled a little while looking at Pepper.

Even though I semi-trusted my 4legged friends I never left Pepper out unless I was around.

I did have an instance where one of my cats grabbed Peppers leg, but that was an accident on the cats part. He saw something flash by and just grabbed. I paniced and called my vet and whipped him in to see him. Didn't want him to die from a neglected cat scratch.

Anyway - congratulations on your self control. Its very hard to put off getting something that you want desperately! I just know when you get to a point where you can get your grey that you will appreciate it more for having to wait!

Talon, it seems there is constantly someone new coming through the doors of my home all the time. It happens in the world of rescue and rehab. Now, when someone comes along, I get a look that pretty much says, "Ho hum, what's that you have now Mom?":P Bravery has little to do with it but supervision does. And not unlike Kiwibarb12, I would never DARE allow this if I were not able to keep a close eye on things at all times. All of my guys understand a stern, NO!, instantly freezing like a statue.

That being said, I do have one cat, Underfoot, that knows he is not allowed to harras any of the indoor critters. This is not to say he does not get the occassional outdoor bird but trust me, he does his best to not get busted doing this either. Recently he got caught with a Cardinal. When he saw me, he spit that poor bird out instantly. After throughly checking this bird out and finding no blood or breaks, I realized he was in shock. I have an old cage that he was placed in and he later bit me when he was finally released back into the wild! Some thanks I got for saving his little red feathered life!:laugh:

I have dogs, too. Both bird dogs (an English pointer and an English Setter). They don't seem to mind Klaus. I think they know the difference between a bird in the field and a bird in a cage in our living room. Just last week, Klaus was out, sitting on the back of a chair and my older dog (the setter) was nearby. Klaus hopped down onto his back and went for a little doggie ride. I didn't get him off immediately because the dog he chose to jump on is 14 years old and never makes any sudden movements (I don't think he could even if he wanted to, poor thing.) I have a cat, too, but she's a tiny little thing. I think she knows better than to try to mess with Klaus. Even so, when Klaus is out of his cage, we are on constant "kitty watch." No sense tempting fate. Also, with our hamster, we make sure Klaus is in his cage when the hamster is out because I wouldn't want little Andrew to become a snack for Klaus. All that said, I would strongly advise waiting to get a grey until your home would be one in which the bird is welcome, and when your schedule allows at least two hours a day of interaction.

Wish CD was here to tell you about "dogs that never bother the birds". But he is not.

All I got to say is I love my birds and would NEVER risk them getting hurt or killed. Period.

It always shocks me to see the risk some people are willing to take with their pets. People that don't leash their dogs or let them run the neighbor hood always shocks me. People that let the cats go outside shock me.

Guess Im not a risk taker. For me to many things can go wrong even when you do all you can to keep them safe so I try to minimize the risk for my pets as much as I can.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/09/02 21:30

I do not recall saying the word "never". I do know I put emphasis on the term supervision as being key. As for allowing dogs to run loose, I am appalled to see the dogs roaming the streats at all hours. I am one who whole heartedly agree this practice is unsafe for both dogs and people. I do allow my three older cats out during the day. They know to remain close to the house. Being the animals they are, I could no more force them to remain in the house forever than I could keep a bird cage bound forever.

So far as taking these "risks" as you call it, life is a risk. The minute we are born, we begin dying. When I gave birth to each of my children, I worried myself to pieces. I didn't want to allow them out of my sight. I didn't want them to go to school, play in the yard, ride a bicycle, learn to drive. I wanted to shelter them from any and all that could harm them. But to put them in some padded room, safe from all possible harm... How could they benefit? They would not grow and be able to function in a normal world. I had to allow them to fall and skin a knee. I had to allow them to explore. I had to sit back and watch them learn things the hard way. No, it didn't feel good, but they learned limits and boundarys. They began to understand consiquences of various actions. They began to understand how to LIVE! What misery would they have if forced to maintain life in a bubble when life is short enough as it is? Besides, I am not in control of destiny, if you will. Not one of us are. Our fate lies in the hands of something we can not control, call it what you will, God, a Higher Power. Our task in this plain is to live and it is a wonderful thing, even with all the risks involved. The greatest lessons one learns in life is learned the hard way.

I apologize as I did not intend to get all preachy, as one of the beauties of being a human is we all have a right to our own opinions.

Life is full of risks no doubt. Each of us must analyze situations, weight the pros/cons and decide. Part of the beauty of being a human is the ability to contemplate and make informed decisions. I will say that out in the wild it is rare if ever that birds "hang out" with dogs, cats and other animals that are naturally their predators. Now, keeping these animals as pets is also not really natural for the animals. However, I am of the mind that the risk is too great to have my bird out for play time with cats/dogs around, supervised or not. Not only are these animals their natural predators, but they are so much bigger than the bird that a small incident can be fatal. Just my thoughts. Everyone must make their own decisions about what is right for them, no doubt. B)