NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage Clinging?

BirdsAreGrey8

Today I brought home Duece and introduced him to his new cage. He was very curious and explored all around his new home. Now he appears sleepy and has parked himself on his rope with the hook of his beak on one of the bars of the cage. 395226092.jpg

Is this normal? He's now asleep and didn't seem distressed or out of breath for balance earlier. I figured the beak clinging was for stabilization but I found it odd he chose the rope to stand on when his nice and stable perch is inches away and just as high.

Is this a common way for Greys to sleep?

Hi there!!

Well let's put it this way, sometimes you feel like wearing tennis shoes for comfort, and sometimes throwing on a flip-flop... depending on the mood. Let's not forget comfort, as long as you have several perches around in different sizes, you're fine. My TAG Dexter loves to sleep on his swing, and his tension stretch cord toy BUT he wont play with the toys, but likes the bounce (he's pickier about his toys, than his food). Every bird is different, and you will be surprised how true this statement is!

As far as him sleeping, he's probably had "a day" and is exhausted from all the new stimulation. Give him some time to get used to his new diggs, and get used to your household... Congratulations on your grey by the way!

Edited by bran

That is such a cute picture and he was making sure he didn't fall while sleeping, you wouldn't believe some of the positions that greys get into for sleeping, how about upside down in their food bowl, we had a member who's grey would do that. Thats good he was curious about his new cage and surroundings, bet he will be in the mood for more when he wakes up. Thanks for sharing that picture with us, that pic will go into his scrapbook as the first day home.

Deuce is most likely just relaxing. This is all new to him and now he needs a chance to get his energy back from the excitement of change and moving around. Just give Deuce a chance to re-group and relax. Make sure he has food and water and just let him chill for awhile. Congratulations on your new companion!!!!

Thanks for all your responses. After an hour he finally went to more of a sleeping mode I'm use to seeing! 395228444.jpg These guys are a lot more agile than the Cockateils and Quaker Parrot I had before. For example, he was on the side of the cage inside and was looking at trying to get to the bars behind him. He leaned all the way back, did a split with his claws, and latched onto the other bars with his beak!

More good news is he stepped up for the first time about 10mins ago from the top of his cage! I said '"Up" and stroked his feathers above his feet and he didn't move much. But touched the top of his claw and up he went!