NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adult CAG moving in.....guidance?

InfamousAlice

Hi All--

I am going to be adding a CAG to my household in the very near future. He is four and has had a semi-rough past. His first year was spent in a room alone, where he plucked. He was rescued and over 3 yrs has recovered. Unfortunately in the last year his owners underwent a divorce and his man is gone and his only human doesn't have time for him. He is coming to live with me. I have experience with all ranges of birds but have never owned anything larger than a Nanday conure.

Sorry to drag this out, my point here is, I need guidance. I have been doing the research and reading everything I can but I would love some first hand guidance on how to introduce him into the house and to the other animals residing in it. Most importantly how to connect with him and earn his trust.

Any advice appreciated! I'm undergoing a huge commitment and want to do the best I can for him.

Thanks!

Hello InfamousAlice and welcome to our family, glad to hear you are going to give this cag a new forever home and I would start out by reading thru all the threads here for you will find a wealth of information from like grey owners.

He should be quarantineed first in case he or any birds you have now should be carrying any disease and then gradually introduce him and explaining all the while what you are doing and making introductions to everyone as they understand more than what we give them credit for. Take it slow and easy so as not to rush him, let him go at his own pace and he will let you know when he is ready for more interaction.

Some greys tend to be territorial about their cage so let him come out on his own, never put your hand inside his cage with him in it for it could result in a bite, sit by his cage and talk to him, read him a book or the newspaper but continue to have soft conversation. You have to earn a grey's trust so by being consistent and allowing him time to settle in will go a long ways in bonding with him, this could take weeks or months, it depends on the baggage he brings along and from what you said he has been mistreated.

My best advice is to go thru these forums and READ, READ, READ!!!!

I wish I had dont it, would have saved me alot of greif! These guys r awesome, and there is alot of knowledge here, so read, research, and ask away!! Your Grey is gonna have a smooth transition and u wont regret it, just take it SLOW AND EASY!

Thanks for your advice. Luckily he will be the only bird, which seems to be what he desires. He is living with a conure now and the existence is tense. I have found a lot of great information and I'd appreciate your take on something specific. I have seen in a lot of places it is suggested to give your grey a "tour" of the household so that he is familiar and less stressed. This seems really overwhelmed to me. I wonder if setting up his cage and leaving him there until he is settled is the smarter course? Also cage placement is something I've been agonizing over. Living area, to be in the comings and goings or in the bedroom where it's calm and a little more private (obvious my place isn't huge).

I feel like I'm touching on really obvious things but I keep second guessing what I decide on!

Yes a tour of the house is a must but it doesn't have to be on the first day there, let him settle into his cage for a few days then when he ventures out you can take him on a tour and tell him what each room is.

The cage should be placed where the family spends the most time and for most households that is the family room or where everyone is most of the time as they like to feel like they are part of the family and in the middle of what is going on. Do not place him in the bedroom unless that is where you spend most of your time. A grey is unlike the smaller birds you have been used to, he needs time and attention from his "flock" and interaction from the family or you will have behavioral problems.

When we got our CAG, Marcus, we had to keep him quarantined for a bit because we have another parrot too, our Quaker, Beaker. We adopted him (Marcus) last year and he is eight years old--he also came from a bit of a difficult background. Anyway, Marcus still has only had a partial tour of our house--he hasn't been in my gym, and he has yet to visit the den where the TV is. But he is not presently flighted, and we still have issues with 'stepping up' or perching on humans at all (because of his past), therefore the concept of exploring the limits of his surroundings is not quite the same issue others might have. Nevertheless I would just suggest your new Grey friend be allowed to get comfortable in whatever space you put his cage before you start really trying to show him too much else of his surroundings. Enough about his life will be changing very suddenly for him, it will be a lot to digest. You all have the rest of your lives together so you can afford to take it slow. And just from personal experience, just sitting next to the cage and talking to your boy will help the 'getting to know you' process very well. :)

I applaud you for taking on this commitment-- Just quit second guessing yourself... you're gonna do just great!!!

(plus You got us covering your back!!! lol)

Where you place his cage is up to you- more of a personal choice and what is convienient for you but once you place it there,Maybe you could put the cage in a place where he can still see you if you go to another room... Greys really don't take to changes too well so make it somewhere where you both will be happy--

Of course you dont want him near drafty windows/air vents.. dont place him right next to the TV or electrical wires etc.....

I strongly reccommend a visit to an avian vet- just to be on the safe side that all is well with him

For the 1st day, try to interact with him as much as possible by just talking to him. he will need to get used to all the new noises and movement in his new home. It will be really scary for him.. (try to think of how you would feel if you were him)

I really wouldn't try to handle him too much right at first (unless he desires it) just don't push him. give him time to adjust, offer foods/treats but don't be alarmed if he doesn't eat the 1st day-- (by the 2nd day he should be eating tho)and make sure he's got fresh water available at all times...and just take it one day, or hour at a time-but

My Greyson has been in every room in the house but I started him out when he was just a babe- but for you I would reccommend letting him settle down for awhile then maybe once a week introduce him to a new room until he has taken the full tour.

in order for him to become stable and confident in his new environment you are going to have to portray the stable and confident Parront!!! soooo quit second guessing ok? lots of hugs--- and as always keep us posted, get lots of pics and if ever in need all ya gotta do is holler!!! Good luck

and lastly, please dont ever feel like your "dragging" things out.. Trust me, I usually post short novels on here and no one has scolded me yet!!!! ;):D:D:p

Welcome!:-)

It is good that you are here asking questions. This place is simply brilliant! You can be sure everyone will help out, everyone adore their birds, there are newbies, people with already a long term relationships with their feathered friends and have a vast library of knowledge and, of course, everything in between. So relax and enjoy the ride;-) You'll do great!:-)

You already got great advice so far so I'll just say a bit more..

I can't stress enough that trust is something essential for both of your existence. Time is a luxury you have so use it. Ba patient, study his behavior, learn his body language (-look for a thread with topic you are interested in if you don't know where to start. Body language would be on the top of the list). Start with little things. Reading or talking to him is a great way to start. He will let you know whether he likes something or not. In the meantime, make sure your home is parrot proof. That means, no electrical wires where he can reach. They love to chew, so be aware of toxic plants (remove them), toxic foods, pesticides and cleaning agents which you maybe used to leave out on the open. My Zak eats slippers, so be aware where you keep your favorite stuff;-)

And as already mentioned, you need to put the cage somewhere where there is a lot interaction. When I move to another room I carry a T-stand with me so he can come along. He watches me study or read the forum;-) But I'm not saying ,drag him everywhere with you, now when you are at the beginning of you relationship. You can leave cage door open and see if he'll join you..or something like that.. Of course, that too will probably not happen on the first day ;-) No smoking! Never let your other pets untended with your bird.. I can go on and on... You really need to go through various threads on this forum.. And remember to ask away!;-)

PS: do take him to the avian vet so he can be properly checked out. For your safety and his. Also, you'll soon read somewhere that birds can hide their illnesses very good and it could just manifest through some behavioral issues so you need to eliminate that possibility first to start a healthy relationship with your new family member.

PPS: You'll notice,as you go, CAGs are like children. They are very aware, very smart, very emotional. They can sense/read what you are feeling so he'll know if you are, f.e. afraid and act accordingly. When you are frustrated, he will pick it up,.. That's why talking is so good. They understand, in various ways what are we talking about. And he'll answer back!:-)

Everyone's advice was MUCH appreciated. Bob-o spent all day out of his cage, either on it or sitting on my lap so we did a mini tour. He was intrigued and OK with everything. He's already picked up my "huuuuh? bob-o" that I say every time I talk to him. My phrases are always "whatcha doing? huuuh bob-o?" and I must have been saying it too much cause now I just hear him mumbling huuuh? bob-o whenever I am not paying enough attention to him.

I'm so pleased with the guy, I never imagined I'd be able to even touch him already, let alone have him on my lap repeating my catch phrases.