NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cats and african grays

bigbird519

I had 2 adult cats when I got my first African grey. Since then, I lost one to a coy dog, and moved leaving the other one with my ex.

Since then, I have 3 parrots, and got a kitten. All is well, the cat knows, the birds will come over and try to nibble on his tail or ears, I never allow the birds to be unattended with my cat around. One bite or scratch and th birds would surely die from the poison bacteria that cats emit to their prey.

We have three cats, one dog, and two parrots. Aside from the drool (she's part Newfoundland) and her tendency toward over-excitedness physically speaking, our dog is fine with the parrots. The cats however...

We have three, two common tabby cats (the type with the "M" on their heads) and one black cat. Like the parrots and our dog, rescues all. Marcus, our CAG, and Beaker the Quaker parrot are the most recent additions to our family. The cats are young still, all under five, and the two males are accomplished hunters. I absolutely would not trust any of them alone with the birds--even for a moment. Like Talon mentioned, the bacteria in cats (and dogs and humans) is lethal to parrots and a single scratch could be horribly catastrophic. Even so, I can just as easily see one of my two males especially taking either of the parrots down if left unguarded for even a few seconds. That's one of the reasons why we lock them all up in a bedroom or let them run outside if Marcus wants to take a walk around the house... otherwise the boys (the parrots) stay in 'their' bedroom and my husband and I generally interact with them in there.

We have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and 4 parrots in the house (congo african grey, blue fronted amazon, and 2 cockatiels) in side the house. The cats and dogs will give the grey and zon a wide berth when they are out. Corky (cag) and Cricket (bfa) are fearless. When Corky and Cricket are out the cats and dogs hide.

I used to have a black cat Jezzie. She was about fifteen when Misty my grey came to live with us. He was just over two. Jezzie took very little notice of Misty and if anything she was a little wary of him. They were both able to sit on my lap with little fuss although Misty would at times take an interest in Jezzies tail. When she had enough of Misty she would simply go away but she never showed any sign of aggression toward him. Misty learned her name and would call to her if she came in the room and he also learned the special whistle I used to call Jezzie in. Sadly Jezzie passed away a couple of years ago but Misty would still call to her if he was in the kitchen because Jezzie used to come in though her cat door. I am sure he missed her although they were never close.

Of course I would never leave Misty out with Jezzie unsupervised. A single scratch or nip from a cat can poison a parrot.

IMO cats and greys can get along but never never unsupervised. It is not worth the risk. I would think the same caution would apply to dogs.

Steve n Misty

Yes it would be fine if you properly supervise all time that your bird is out of the cage, many members here have cats and dogs along with their greys and other birds and manage to make it work.

I think a lot of it depends on the cat, how old they are when they're exposed to the bird, etc. I read once in a book on Greys that dogs are much more dangerous to parrots than cats, that they'll rip them to shreds without a second thought, but personally my experience is otherwise. I know our dog would NEVER intentionally hurt either of our boys, but the cats will drop into that hunter's crouch immediately whenever they see one of our boys out on the floor, and I know it would be Game Over if I didn't interfere immediately. :(

So I think the parront just needs to know their pride/flock very well for everyone's safety and peace of mind...

Not worth the risk. Not even a little bit. For those that already have posted that are parents to both, you can see that it takes quite a bit of planning and supervision to ensure nothing goes wrong.

Proper care of a grey is enough without introducing a predator to their environment if you can avoid it.

We have 2 german shepherds and never leave them in the same room with the greys unsupervised.

There have been times when the greys have even dropped down and nipped at a tail or a back foot of our dogs, but we were right there not more than 12" away when it happened. To our dogs' credit, they seem to know that the birds are off limits and avoid them...but I wouldn't trust them if I wasn't around.

Edited by Lambert58

my cat is scared of jasper! I was hanging out on our bed and simba (cat) jumped up...he's a long hair cat that's part rex'd (his belly and legs and chest are super curly) anyway, cat jumped up and didn't come near me because i had jasper... well, next thing i knew jasper dive bombed simba with his scream and went after him! simba (he's old...like 16 or something like that) ran and hid under the bed.

So...now when i have jasper out, i really don't see the cat! but put the bird in his cage and the cat is on my lap purring...

We have two cats & a large German Shepherd dog, none of them bother Murphy our grey in the slightest. I would even go as far to say that the cats are scared of Murphy, sometimes if he goes on a mad one flying about, they cower down & run like hell to the safety of their cat basket. I used to have an Amazon & he was a brave little sod, he would go down on the floor & run after the cats to play. He would even go over to their food bowl & nudge them out of the way to have a nibble on the cat biscuits & the cats would just step back out of the way as if to say "I'm not messing with him!"

One golden rule with cats is just don't leave them together unsupervised & also don't let your grey annoy the cat as that can lead to slap from the cat which can cause injury if the claws are out. Generally though cats, dogs & parrots can live together in harmony & often they learn to respect one another as all of ours do. One of our cats is also a keen hunter too, brings mice & pigeons back to the doorstep but strangely enough he stays well clear of Murphy even though he looks like a pidgen.....lol.

I have a feeling that the cats & dogs leave parrots alone because they sense the intelligence of them & know they will get their own back, just like Tweety does to Sylvester. ;)

I have a feeling that the cats & dogs leave parrots alone because they sense the intelligence of them & know they will get their own back, just like Tweety does to Sylvester. ;)

I think it's because dogs and cats have a strong family bonding instinct. When we adopt a cat or dog into our family they will also have an inclination to accept other pets we bring in as family members and may even act to protect them. My dog Toby, now deceased, a collie-german shepherd cross would chase any strange cats but if our cat came on a walk with us he would fight or chase off any strange dog that came to close. If the cat was not with us the dog was much less aggressive. As I have already mentioned the cat Jezzie would happily tolerate Misty even though Jezzie was a capable hunter of wild birds.

Steve n Misty

I am a bit paranoid when our cat (beautiful DMH) is out when the birds are close to her (i.e. we're on the couch with Merlin and Kitten jumps up onto the couch) - she just has that LOOK in her eyes. She enjoys watching the birds outside, and she gets that glazed look in her eyes when the birds are out.

So we just ensure one person has the cat in their lap and the other holds the bird, or at least keeps them from pecking away at Kitten :D.

We also have two Rhodesian Ridgebacks who mainly can't be bothered (except for Fynn & his Hoover action around the parrot treats & fresh foods).

I think if you're at least aware of your cat's behaviour, and when they're around to be a bit cautious, it should be fine.

I have a cat and a Grey. The cat I've had for a year and the new Grey is just 6mos old. I wouldn't take the chance even supervised of having the cat near the Grey because it just takes one sudden sound for the bird to take flight and you never know when a cat's natural instinct to chase and attack may occur. Be very, very, careful.

If that doesn't make you think then look at it this way..

New cat cost: $40-$100

New African Grey cost: $1,000-$1,200

Me turning my "nice kitty" into Chinese food for hurting or killing my Grey= PRICELESS!

Protect your investment, protect your friend.

Edited by BirdsAreGrey8

my aunt had 2 siamese cats, then she got her parakeets and a cockatail. They were curious at first about eachother, but learned to live togather. The cockatiel would ride on the cats backs, and they didnt pay any attention. One day she found a kitten along the side of the road, brought it home,,,,,,two minutes later the cockatiel became its lunch.......it was horrible. So it is possible...