NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timmy is pissing me off!!!!

hammco

:rolleyes:

Well...not really but he has trained me and I need to reverse it!

Heres the deal:

Lately when I approach his cage he jumps to the top and hangs like a bat. No big deal right! WRONG! His beak is precise and fast as a cobra when he us upsidedown, and yes, he has given me the BITE! I know he dont want me to mess with him and he is letting me know, but if I say the word "treat, grape, or peanut" he comes down and lets me step him up and take him wherever (most of the time). If he is out of the cage on his own free will I can pick him up EASILY!

Anybody got an idea on what he is trying to tell me, since this is a fairly new behavior?

Have you tried just opening the cage door without trying to take him out? We have used this technique with Linus...when he comes out on his own terms, it's all good. He might just be testing some limits...since he knows that he "might" get a treat out of the deal.

Oh yeah, his cage is always open till bedtime and he comes and goes as he wants, but if he is in there...HE IS IN THERE!!! Aint no taking him out if he dont want to now! haha

Maybe thats how its gonna be for now with him (till he realizes I am ignoring it!!!) hahaLOL

These jokers are tooooo freaking smart! Its hard to figure out a new trick they are doing....

Lots of greys view their cage as their territory, their safe haven and you better not mess with them when they are inside it, you are trespassing on their property and you best respect that. When you allow him to come out and then offer a step up he usually steps up for you but do not pass over the line or you will be nabbed but good. My grey will allow me to put my hand inside her cage but there are other members here who will attest to the same thing you are facing with Timmy, respect his territory or pay the price, Ouch!!

I don't know if this is wrong or not, but when Finney does this to me, I use a wooden spoon handle and put it by her and say up up. She protests but always gets on the spoon and then I can hold her once she is out. She is very sweet then after she is out. I usually just make it quick and give her a few pets then put her back and let her come out on her own if she wants to. I just don't want her to think she can attack me when I stick my hand in her cage. She does try to attack me if I am doing some quick cleaning up in her cage. She usually rips my hair out! I feel like I am messing w/ her stuff though when I do that so I just try to do what I need to w/o getting plucked! I don't reward her until she behaves the way I want her to.

I have never had a problem with my grey or zon coming out of their cages. All I have to do is open the door and they dash out!!!! Now my ekkie he prefers to sit in his cage so I respect his wishes and let him come out as he pleases. I would just open the door and let your grey come and go has he pleases.

I have never had a problem with my grey or zon coming out of their cages. All I have to do is open the door and they dash out!!!! Now my ekkie he prefers to sit in his cage so I respect his wishes and let him come out as he pleases. I would just open the door and let your grey come and go has he pleases.

LOL...Issac is the same way. It's getting him IN the cage that is the issue.

Timmy is asking you to respect his property and his body language is telling you all of that. Forcing your grey to come out on your terms is counter productive to the trust you are building. Dixie loves to hang upside down in her cage, and is just as precise with her beak as Timmy is - only took me one time to figure out - "I'm happy hanging upside down here, I'll come out when I'm ready." So I open the cage door, she's usually out in a heartbeat and I don't suffer any bites (not a member of the parrot bit me club still!) and gladly steps up with no problems. It's a form of respect in my opinion.

Robin

I have had no problems with putting my hand in the cage with Moussa so far. But, in anticipation of any future issues, I mounted a short perch on the inside of the door to the cage. This perch is positioned so that the cage door easily swings open and shut, and when the door is swung open, the perch is outside of the cage. Moussa has learned that if he wants to come out of the cage, he must get "ready," which means he must step onto the door perch and wait for the door to swing open. Then he steps up onto my hand. This has become a routine with us. Hopefully, this will continue to work for us, should Moussa become more cage territorial in the future.

If he's not quite ready to come out, I just leave the door open and let him climb out whenever he's ready, but most of the time, he is very anxious to come out.