NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HUGE rookie African Grey owner here! ALL tips will be great!!!!

Tommyr20

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cement perches are better for their feet and will help with keeping the talons filed down.

I would advise if the cage came with a grate to use it so your bird does not get into the droppings in the bottom of the cage and that will keep the feet cleaner, you can put him into the sink with a couple of inches of water to bathe him.

Yes I noticed the dropping stains when I posted the pic. So today I will wash him down with a wet towel, I don't want to introduce him to a shower on his very second day with us strangers! Thanks for the tips guys! I will look into other perches avail at the pet store!

Wow! You are an adventurous person! I'm so glad you came here. I know there will be lots of good advice. I don't have my grey yet--but am here to learn as much as possible, and these folks are wonderful. Did the breeder teach you how to hand feed? I heard it can be tricky and dangerous to the bird if done incorrectly. Also, I want to urge you to change the newspaper daily. A woman at the local parrot rescue mentioned that many people use shredded paper or even wood shavings in the bird cages so they wouldn't have to change it as often. She said that this can lead to mold growth and potentially dangerous (to humans and birds) lung disease. Your grey looks beautiful and I hope you have a wonderful adventure together.

JeffNOK, My Grey came with the shredded paper so that what we had the first night, but found that the bird wasn't walking as easy with it. I bought some aspen wood shavings but that didn't last long..... I couldnt see where the dropping were.....will dropping. And besides we had shaving all over the floor cuz he was just blowing them away every time he was flapping his wings! So we went back to the newspapers right above the rack (because his balance isn't all that great just yet. this way he don't keep slipping thru the racks) But this time we just layers the bottom of the cage with a couple of news papers just the way it comes! It's seems to be working out a lot better! As soon as I notice a dropping, i get right into his cage, let him walk on the floor while i change in a new paper! Now this way I don't have him getting it all over his feet as you might have noticed in the picture I put up earlier on this thread! Good luck on finding your Grey as soon as your ready!!!

Hi Tommy , welcome to the forum and congrads on your new baby Ace :) the sandy perch you have for him is the same one I have for all my birds only they all have different sizes and I have no problems with thoose perches they also all have the cement perches to plus other types of wood perches , try getting him a cajeput perch he will love it and they are soft on their feet , the outside is soft and they can chew the wood on it and the inside is a little harder , Cody our new baby grey just loves his cajeput perch also here is a few good sites for ordering birdie supplies and food online ,True Love Avairy has cajeput perches

http://www.trueloveaviary.com/index.html

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/

http://www.mybirdstore.com/

have fun and tc of Ace :)

Edited by Codys Mom

Hi Tommy ! What a beautiful baby ya got there!!! He is so adorable!!!. I applaud you for doing your research and asking lots of questions..

I have a few opinions of my own but keep in mind they are just opinions and my own personal preferences I in no way am saying anything you are doing is right or wrong!!!..You will learn what to do that works best for Ace! Greys are as individual as you and I and what works or worked for one may not work for the other and they will teach you real quick what their desires are!!!!

. The 1st thing is about the sandpaper perch.. I think they are fine but for me personally I use the cement perches they are a bit more gentle on the feet than the rough grit but please make sure that there are no blisters appearing on the bottom's of his feet. His feet are extremely tender right now. You said he would not stand on the wooden one (in the pic behind the green one) It does look like it might be a tad too small for him. Greys feet are different than most birds and you need to make sure his front and rear talons dont meet when standing. If they do, then it's too small, try getting him a wider one and see if Ace will stand on it. ..

#2 the grate-- I kept the grate out of Greyson's cage until he was standing and climbing really well because he would fall thru the cracks, but he was alot younger when I brought him home than you did Ace. But if he is still a little clumsy you can try to take it out until he gets a little more steady. Is he sleeping on the perches at night or is he still sleeping on the bottom of the cage? Greyson would not pooh anywhere near where he slept and I never had a prob with him stepping in it. Today he hardly ever poohs in his cage now at all- He waits until I get him to his play tower in the morns and poohs his little brains out!!!! I noticed in the pic Ace had pooh on his foot...make sure you wipe that off as soon as you can, his feet are like our hands, everything they put in thier mouths gets there by thier feet!!!!!

#3 Make sure your kids get a chance to hold Ace and interact with him as often as possible, My 2 yr old Grandaughter can hold Greyson with no problems(adorable) It will benefit both the kids and Ace in the long run , Teach the children how to properly use the step up command and teach them about birdy body language.

I look forward to watching Ace grow up and hearing your stories!

Sherrie, thank you so much for all your input! Yes my kids are helping and handeling "Picasso" previously known as Ace! lol, sorry about the name change guys! I just couldn't get use to calling him ACE, besides when we do get the DNA test done, what if he is a girl???? I think we will have an easier time converting to Cassie!! Everytime we get Picasso out of his cage my kids interact with him! Picasso currently chooses to sleep on his green perch! I will try other kind, and will leave them up in his cage so that he/she has options! Thanks about bout the pooh tips, I never thought about his feet being like our hands, it makes tons of sense!

Rudysmom, thanks for the links!!!!

Hammco, I sure will keep posting pics!!!

Okay, Picasso's wings got clipped as soon as I took him from the birds farm! But, my question is, should I let them grow out, or keep them cut????? If I do let them grow out, is there like a body tie down I can buy somewhere so that he don't fly away from me??? I really want my bird to have all the freedom in the world........without losing him of course!! Please share your ideas!!!!

I am all for flighted birds!:-) Read this http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190818-Imping-Feathers-Clipped-wings-restored-through. It will stress out the importance of having wings. After that, please read everything about harness. That way you can take your bird outside and not loose him. A word of caution. Introducing a harness is a serious business as living with the flighted bird. You may need to make your home parrot proof as you would for your kids. And if/when you take your gorgeous birdie outside, make sure to know are there any kind of predators around where you live so they wouldn't endanger or kill your bird. Hawks, cats,....

I think I read somewhere on this forum that bird with clipped wings can also fly away. So it is no 100% guarantee. She could get spooked, feel threatened or anything else, and leap somewhere, or in that moment, wind could take her a bit further than it normally would.. It could mean a life or death situation so don't be naive (not that I think you are...just cant find another word ;-) )

Edited by Morana

Yep I Like Picasso lots better too.. and you're right about if a girl, Cassie would be adorable-- So welcome to an Ace of a Grey Picaso/Cassie :P;):cool: lol

Please remember that although your baby's wings are clipped they can still "fly" If outside, a good wind comes along they can still get flight and be carried off. Once clipped, in my opinion it's best to keep them clipped..

I have the Aviator Harness for Greyson. I am not real fond of it but it does the trick....

When I had my Mccaw, I had a leash and collar for birds that the leash would either hook on the front or back, This allowed for your bird to walk (hook on top) or to perch (hook on bottom) it was really great but I lost the collar part and can not find another one like it again, the place I bought that one from is no longer there so Im SOL for now-- :confused: It was a heck of alot easier to put on than the Aviator Harness ....even for a large Mccaw.

I encourage you to get a leash or harness as soon as possible and start getting him accustomed to it. Until you get one, try to constantly get him used to your hand being on his head. I would cover Greyson's head completely with both my hands and play peekaboo. I am constantly putting his little foot toys on top of his head to balance (cute as heck too) he has a little "blankie" that I will put over him completely and play games and I also put his little rope toys on the back of his neck and just let them sit there till he takes it off-- all of this may seem really silly but trust me when I say it will help get him used to having your hands all about his head-They don't really like that so take it real slow and be patient with it, but if you do that, by the time your harness gets in, he will be accustomed to having things placed around his head and wont get freaked out once you try to put it on him. Also take your hands and rub under his wings as much as possible, just place your hand under his wing and let it stay there till he pushes you away, you will have to do this daily and several times daily to get him used to manipulating his wings-

I have a pic somewhere with my Mccaw Robyn (RIP) with his leash on I will try to find it and post it so maybe if someone else sees one like it they can let me know where to get one- the funny thing about it was that when Robyn wanted to go "take a walk on the wild side" (he would truly say that!!!) I would put his leash and collar on and outside we would go BUT....he would only walk backwards when I had the leash hooked to the back! It was halarious to watch-- but I think the weight of it bothered him and he felt the need to walk backwards but he always went to where he wanted to go!!! ha ha aha :P

Okay so this might be a very weird question, but I bet will be very helpful.....what does a healthy poop look like, and what does a "get your bird to the vet, NOW" poop look like????? Cuz so far, Picasso has been doing some nasty droppings! Thanks

Whats the best seed mix you guys recommed? I've seen so many different kind. My bird is already chewing on Green Beans, Carrots, and Raddish! But I'm still hand feeding him in the morning and at night. I think its time i put some seed mix in his bowl! Thanks guys

what does a healthy poop look like, and what does a "get your bird to the vet, NOW" poop look like????? Cuz so far, Picasso has been doing some nasty droppings! Thanks

Kaytee has a good handout out what a sick bird looks like and about various poops. Just remember that some food colors are reflected in poop e.g. blueberries.

http://www.kaytee.com/assets/010/22969.pdf

My avian vet recommends Harrison's pellets for my CAG. Check out their website which is full of good information on birds and their diets. I bet they have a recommendation for a baby grey like Piccasso.

My older grey eats High Potency Coarse pellets. She also likes their birdie bread.

My avian vet recommends seeds as a treat, not as a daily diet staple for Greys.

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/

HI Tommy,

I prefer to give Greyson pellets (Kaytee or Zupreem) as I can not get the harrison's where I am. But he also get's his fresh fruits and veggies and his birdie bread! If you look in the section of Birdie recipes you can find alot of good recipes to make for your baby. Make sure you give him fresh fruits (too many fruits can cause runny poohs) and protien like hot dogs, or ham. ( I give Greyson 2 slices off the hot dog and 2 cubes of ham daily) My vet also told me the other day that it's good to give cheese in moderation as well. Hope this helps- as far as what healthy pooh looks like it should look like little green "worms" which are really firm coated with white and clear liquid......sometimes what you feed your baby can change the color of it but in essence it should not "stink" if it is real loose like one big blob, that would be cause for concern. Hope this helps