NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HUGE rookie African Grey owner here! ALL tips will be great!!!!

Tommyr20

So I just came back from a bird farm and bought this African Grey because basically it was the only baby available. I had read up on them a bit! But I jumped into it anyways! Just like I jump into anything else in life! I hope I don't offend any African Grey owner for not doing my research before purchasing! But the damage has been done, and im here for any help or tips I can get! What I can assure you is that the bird will be loved! I have a nice big cage for him with three big toys! And the seller told me my African still need two more weeks of weening or hand feeding. Not sure what you all call it! Thanks for looking at my post guys! And wish me luck! Tomorrow I'm heading to the book store to look for a book on parrots! If any African Grey owners have any thing you would like to share with me from experience......PLEASE, hook me up! Thanks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me to introduce myself........My name it Tommy, and today I bought my first ever parrot which of course as you all already know is an African Grey. The only other birds I have is a pair of parakeets that I bought a couple of weeks ago for my little kids. So I thought to myself, maybe they would enjoy a talking parrot. I was told that the Grey's are the brightess of them all. And besides everytime we go to my sisters house they love her parrot which they've had for a couple of months (not sure what kind it is, looks like a yellow neck). So now here I found myself looking online for any information I can obtain! Thank again for looking

Welcome Tommy and thanks for the introduction of yourself and your new grey! :)

It's wonderful that you are able to visit at the breeders and they themselves can give you a great amount of knowledge on how to properly care for your grey to provide it a loving and exciting home to live in. WE have a ton of experienced people here that are more than happy to answer any and all questions you may have. Also, please explore all our rooms as they each deal with specific topics such as foods, health, training etc.

Yes, leave the radio or tv on as most seem to enjoy having background noise that makes the home seem a little more "Filled" than just stone silence.

I am looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing photos when you get a chance. :)

Hello Tommy and welcome to our family, you have come to the right place to learn all you can about greys so start by reading thru all the threads for lots of useful information. We do have many knowledgeable members who will share what they know with you, all you have to do is ask and we will help you in any way we can.

I have to comment though that they should not have sold you an unweaned bird as that is best left to those who know what they are doing but you have the baby home now so we will try to help you as best as we can.

Dan is right, leave the tv or radio on during the day while you are at work to provide background noise as greys are easily startled and we all know how sounds can be strange in a quiet house.

Please do share some pictures with us of your baby grey when you get a chance. BTW, have you decided on a name yet?

Thanks for the replys! There are a couple of names that have came to mind. But let me first include that I live in South Texas which is about 20 min away from the border. So I was thinking that maybe I should give him/her ( no DNA as of yet done ) a spanish name. Here are a couple that have came to mind, Let me know what you all think! I did consider looking up African Name, but so many of them I couldn't even pronounce! lol, so heres what we have so far........Parton (like the tequila), Hefe (meaning boss), Chico (meaning small), Ace ( I do play lots of Texas Hold'em )........I WILL NAME HIM BY TODAY!! LOL, I will also take a couple snap shots and post today!

There you go guys! My CAG!!! I just put up the cage, so I placed him in there! But at the breeders they had him in a tub.....should I go and buy a tub to place him in for a couple of more weeks? Or will he be fine in here??? Under the newspaper shredding I have a large towel!

He is a sweet looking grey baby, they are so adorable at this age, thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Yes he will be fine in this cage, I would put his perches down lower so he has less distance to go if he falls, thats good you put down some padding to cushion any falls but if a grate came with the cage use it so he does not step around in his own poop, most cages now come with them and using it is more sanitary for the bird, then you can just change the paper. You do not need to shred the paper, just lay a few sheets of it so you can observe the poops, thats one of the first ways we detect illnesses in birds is by checking the poops.

What a cute baby grey!

Breeders often keep them in "Tubs" while very young up to 7 or 8 weeks. But beyond that, they are normally kept in a cage with low perches and soft materials in case of a fall when the climb. Your grey will be better off without a tub confining him/her. Looking forward to more updates. :)

BTW - How many weeks old is your grey, 12, 14?

Hi and welcome! :-)

Very pretty baby Grey:-)

Please read very carefully posts about weaning. Looking forward on seeing more pictures.

How old are your kids? Check out the posts about children growing with your CAG, precaution measures..and most important, enjoy your new baby!:-)

Do you already have an avian vet for your birds?

Hi Tommy & Welcome! Sounds like you've started your parronting at the deep end of the pool. You might be glad you found your way here because there's a huge collection of knowledge to help with your new fid.

I think the first tip I'd suggest is that you read every sticky in the Nursery, Health & Grey Lounge forums. Then really go thru the Nursery threads. These are discussions by a big group of people with all different types of experience & perspectives from all over the world. You won't believe the education you'll get!

The second tip I'd give anyone new to greys is that a grey isn't like a dog or a parakeet. If you start out really understanding that your new fid is a surprisingly sensitive & intelligent bird who can be more like raising a child than a pet, it might make parronthood a lot easier.

Last tip... POST AWAY...questions, stories, venting... any thing, any time.

btw There's a thread on naming here

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?191920-How-did-your-bird%28s%29-get-it-s-name

Thanks for the pointers Birdhouse, Morana, danmcq! My grey "ACE" which is what we decided to name is 10 weeks old according to the bird farm who sold it to me......the man gave me an estimate, so its all i got to go on for now! He didn't personally bred him, he had him flown in thru Delta airlines. He did mention that he got a pair, and that the other pair grew out all red feathers, which don't mean much to me! anyways My kids are 4 boy, 5 girl, 10 boy, and 11 girl! So yes I will look into forums that have pointers on Greys & Kids! I am in the process of finding a Vet for "ACE". Oh, and I just noticed the thread on names which was provided by Birdhouse, so don't be surprised if "ACE" changes! lol, it's kind of hard to name him since we don't know if it's a HE or SHE yet! Thanks everyone!!! BTW, I bought a perch made of Sand Paper but extra thick, My Grey seems to like it, he is able to balance himself on it, he couldn't balance himself on the wooden perch that came with the cage! They both are about 2 inches from the bottom to where the grey can step right up.

Edited by Tommyr20

Tommy- I got the same book when I got Timmy! Pretty good information, but take it each day at a time and it will all work out just fine!!! BE PATIENT and spend ALL THE TIME you can with your Grey. Browse these forums and ask away! congrats on ACE! "ACES WILD BABY"!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahah

Judygram... I just now noticed your quote! I love it!!! No one gets out alive anyway!!!!! Anyone know y my profile pic aint showing????

Your profile pic is showing. (Great close-up of your baby bird!) The picture that shows in the messages is the avatar. You set that under settings.....scroll down to edit avatar.

Welcome Welcome Welcome, and congratulations getting the animal that will change your life!! Grey's are alot of work, but it pays off every single day!

there are very good suggestions on this site, and I wont overwhelm you... here are a couple sites that I have found helpful!!

http://www.itsagreysworld.com/fun/bodylang.htm

http://www.parrotnation.com (look for the video that Patricia does on "chop" and how she prepares nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables)

Hopefully these can be added to your arsenal of parrot knowledge! and again, welcome to the forum!

Bran, thanks for the itsagreysworld link. Today is the second day he's been with us and when I got back from work, I asked my wife.....what happen to his foot?? Cuz he just kept it up, standing on one leg. As soon as I click on that site, the very second body language shown is......standing on one foot= I'm relaxing !!! Thanks a bunch!!! But how true is this for all greys? is it pretty close, or is this all based on the authors point of view with maybe his Grey????? Just curious! thanks again!

i have shared this with quite a few African Grey owners, including some of my relatives that I got into the "African Grey" parronthood. They all live by this site. I actually made a copy and laminated it, and kept it on my coffee table so I could have easy access until i got the hang of his body language! It has helped me calm down and not question everything... Grey's are a totally different animal when it comes to the parrot world. They require different strategies, and more patience. Start with bonding, get to know your grey's personality. Granted there are alot of similar traits, but grey's like kids have their own personality! Then take your journey from there! Good Luck, and dont hesitate to ask if you need anything!

It is a very beautiful picture you have as your avatar!:-)

About perches.. Have no idea what kind is perch made of Sand Paper but I encourage other members to comment on that because it is very important that you pay attention to your birdies foot. There shouldn't be any changes on the skin, blisters, red skin/irritations-sorry I don't know how to say exactly what I mean because my English is not that good. Maybe someone will correct me/say it better than me. I have safety pumice perch large which has this pumice stone only on the sides where his talons go when he stands on it, so the skin on the foot doesn't get irritated.

Edited by Morana