NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Beans....

Mama CJ

I wanted to know what kind of beans are good for parrots and how do you prepare them.

Also, what kind of beans should I NOT feed my girl.

Are all nuts okay for them or are some I should avoid also?

I found the fruit/ veggie list but not much on beans.

Thanks so much, Carla

Most all of the beans are fine to feed our greys, they must be cooked of course, my Josey loves beans and they are a good part of their diet with veggies. I feed pecans, walnuts, peanuts, cashews and occasionally other nuts in moderation, all are the unsalted variety and the peanuts I give are human grade without the shell for the shell is what could harbor the mold that is toxic.

I get a bag of mixed beans and boil them up and toss them together with bags of frozen mixed vegetables and add in a box of cooked orzo then bag the mix up and freeze them. I warm some up about every third day for my fids, they love "hem! My birds love pecans, pistachios and pine nuts all unsalted, spendy but delicious!!!! I also chop up fresh veggies that are in season and feed these little varmints some every couple of days.

Edited by luvparrots

My babies enjoy cooked beans mixed with long grain wild rice and fresh chopped in season veggies. Dixie does have a preference in her beans, she doesn't care for lima beans, but loves pinto. Beau eats all of equally. I buy the 7 bean mix and cook them in the crock pot once a week. My family loves beans of all types so we have a meal of "beans, cornbread and greens" and the birds get the leftovers (so to speak).

Robin

Thanks everyone, that helps. One concern I had was the lima beans. I thought I had read somewhere that lima beans were not good for parrots. I have a 15 bean mix that contains the following:

Northern

Pinto

Large and baby Lima beans

Blackeye

Garbanzo

Green and yellow Split Pea

Kidney

Cranberry bean

Small white

Pink bean

small red

Lentil

Navy

white kidney

black bean

I want to make sure these are all safe. Thanks again....

Great question!

I just read this and my vet confirmed: some peanuts harbor deadly molds that are toxic to birds. (aflatoxins). I think the shell is the problem. And if I'm not mistaken, Alex (the most famous CAG) died from that.

The post mortem results I read pointed to an enlarged heart as his cause of death.

Edited by Greywings

Black beans and raw Limas are not the healthiest but are safe when cooked . Garbonzo, dried Peas and Lentils, Red beans, Mung beans are among the more nutritious choices. I cook some grains with them like Quinoa, Spelt, Barley and chop some dark greens and sweet potato to toss in at the end of cooking then cover and let steam a few minutes before cooling enough to serve. You can freeze and serve later as well.

Edited by Greywings

• 4 weeks later...