NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Behavior question ~

BenzMama

As Toby was removing toys so he could 'play' with the box, he was scratching the carpet just like a chicken does in the yard. Bits of shredded box were flying, but he continued this behavior even after there were no more bits. Anybody familiar with this? We'd not seen him do it previously. He was scratching when this pic was taken:

zkh8qb.jpg

This is one of Dixie's favorite past times. When she first strted doing this I was confused, but I've found that she just loves to scratch. We've tried to enhance her scratching by putting a low sided box on the floor with shredded newspaper in it and then "hide" some of her favorite treats, like whole almonds, small wooden foot toys, a ball, etc. In it. Dixie loves it and will gladly play in the box. I've also added a piece of fine grade sand paper to the bottom of the box, this helps keep her nails trimmed. Works better for us than the perches, especially since she won't sit on the type designed for nail health. A disclaimer here....the paper (both newspaper & sand paper) must be renewed each time we bring out the box!

P.s. This box only has a one-to-two inch side wall.

Ok, since I see lot of you folks get your parrots boxes for playing....where do you get the boxes so you aren't afraid whether cardboard is clean enough for a bird to play in it?

rbpittman, try to put safety pumice perches where the food/water bowls are . It works for Zak perfectly. Or even in front of the cage door (but in the cage) so your birdie needs to step on it before getting out...(?)

tnx!:-) Zak is terrified of the boxes because,, in the past, we used smaller boxes to get him to the vet. We had to because when we took him in a small bird cage he flapped with his wings so hard they bled, ...but I'll give it a try :-)

If you have any suggestions how to get him to like boxes more easily please do tell!:-)

Poor dear, no wonder he hates boxes, I would suggest putting one in the room with him and put it far enough away that he isn't bothered by it and gradually as the days go by bringing it nearer to him and eventually putting a treat he absolutely loves and let him see you put it there, it may take weeks but it should get him accustomed to the box.

If he doesn't want to approach a whole box, you could cut it into pieces & string them. You might also use small boxes to start & put a bell inside. Also any food Zak likes or maybe some popcorn so the smell might want to make him rip into it.

And yes, my guys scratch around a lot, too.

Judy is right. A very negative association with boxes will take a while to overcome. As she suggested, having it in view, also with a fairly large square cut in the front for entrance and you playing with it and making big fun noises and hoopla with it may peak the interest enough to explore it on her own terms and ever so slowly getting closer and closer to it. I use Large 10lb Milk Bone boxes and also the long skinny 12 or 18 pack soda cartons.

Tnx guys!! :-)

I had same ideas (combined) but I did want your conformations (so I don't mess up ;-) ) + I am gonna put paper towels and other paper on it and in it (because he likes shredding paper) so we'll see how it goes. ..and maybe buttons.. Great idea about popcorn!

I'm gonna keep you posted! :-)

As Toby was removing toys so he could 'play' with the box, he was scratching the carpet just like a chicken does in the yard. Bits of shredded box were flying, but he continued this behavior even after there were no more bits. Anybody familiar with this? We'd not seen him do it previously. He was scratching when this pic was taken:

zkh8qb.jpg

Look at the eyes.Oblivious to everything that's going on. People and surroundings. A cage can be empty or full. It's the true sight of the real grey in the wild scratching and scratching in order to find things to eat. A definite act of nature at work. That's done because in general, parrots are scavengers and that's why it's periodically done by parrots even in an enclosed environment even if there's nothing to scrape at or eat.