NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Finally Bonding

Gwen

After almost a year with my first (rehomed a 10yo) grey, I have made my newest break-thru but now I'm not surewhere I go from here. My husband & I are both home retired and slowly I have gotten closer to my baby. I open Roscoe's door and lay on the floor across the room. He comes down and causiously walks over and likes to play tent under a blanket. He feels secure and has started regurgitating over & over for 5 or 10 min. while I quietly talk to him. He is very disturbed & fluffs up if my husband gets up or moves around during this timIe. He then looks up at his cage and when I ask him if he wants back up on his cage, he holds his leg up for me. This goes on for hrs. and every half hour or so he repeats the same sequense.

He "hates" my husband and won't talk when he's in the room, but the minute he leaves starts whistling, talking and being himself. The tent play is precious time for me but how do I get him to do different things? He is basically trying to communicate and interact w/ me with what he wants but now I would like to try something new. All this regurg. is starting to gross me out. I used to wipe it off in a paper towel but now he quickly and very gently eats it off my fingers and brings it up again.

Where do I go from here?

Its not unusual for a grey to like one person over another, you are obviously his favorite and I would suspect he has baggage from a previous owner who may have been a male and he distrusts all males now, just my opinion. He is wanting to go back to the safety of his cage when he holds his foot up and going along with this is best as it gains his trust. He may never come to like your hubby like he likes you so take what you get.

Be sure not to touch him on his back, under the wings or anywhere around the tail area as those are the erogenous zones and when he goes to regurgitate for you just tell him thanks but no thanks and return him to his cage, you don't want to encourage this behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear it's going well. I also have a rehomed grey, she just turned 11 years old. I've had her about 4 months now and she's finally coming out of her cage for a few hours a day. I guess she hadn't been several years before I got her. She has almost climbed up my leg the other day while I was on the floor, but she's not quiet there yet. She won't let me touch her but will rub my hand or arm if I rest it close to her. So we're coming along, just slowly. Oh, and she hates my husband too! She's fairly quiet until he leaves the room. She'll puff the second he comes near the cage. Your story gives me more confidence that bonding with her is still possible. But if not, we have fun anyway! Best of luck, Carla