NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

2 birds won't work?

RBlass

So 2 months ago or so we bought a baby female (we think) CAG. We've been visiting it weekly -- and It's coming home in about a week.

However, for reasons I cannot comprehend, the girlfriend decided to take in a female Red Rumped Parrot today.

I've read that you're not supposed to have 2 birds, because they'll bond to each other and hate the human owner.

We're going to put them in separate cages, in separate rooms.

I'm gone 10 or so hours a day, but the girlfriend is home all day. When I'm gone, she'll put them together, even if I tell her not to.

So what will happen? Will my baby Buddha (CAG) not like me because of this new bird? Or will the two birds not care much for eachother?

Every bird will be different, I have a CAG and also have a quaker, whenever the birds are out together they ignore each other completely and I have never had a problem. Many people here have a few birds and will be able to give more advice than I can I have only had Rene since April and have had 0 issues. I am also getting ready to bring home a baby eclectus so in a couple months I will be having the same worries especially with 2 big parrots! Oh and congrats on the baby Buddha!!

Many of the people on this forum have a lot of birds & it works out fine. If 2 birds of the same breed like each other, they tend to bond closer to each other & that can sometimes weaken or cancel out their need to bond to people.

It's usually a very different dynamic when the birds are different types. I have several birds. They all have their own cages, but live in the same room & have free access to each other when they're out. Not all of them get along. Not all of them even pay attention to each other. But they all think I'm wonderful. :)

I really believe more than one bird can work. Its how much time you have to give them. Between us we have three, two Grey's and a green wing macaw. One of the Grey's only visits as thats my partners but the other Grey and the macaw live together with no problems. Obviously they cant be in the same cages not even the Grey's but around the house all is fine. Its all one big happy family. Oh we never leave them out all together either, just in case lol.

We have a congo grey a blue front amazon and two cockatiels that are kepted in the same part of the house. We will have the grey and the zon out at the same time under suppervison and the tiels out on their own because they are so small. They will talk back and forth to each other when they are in their cage and it`s a lot of fun to listen to.

We enjoy all of our fids and they each have there spec. times with us.

We have 8 parrots, mostly of different species. They are loose together most of the day. A few of them have made bird "friends" with one of the other birds and are preening buddies. But they will happily throw each other under the bus if we enter the room and would rather come to us than stay with each other. The only case where two birds have bonded to a degree that affects their relationship with us is with two blue crowned conures: a male/female pair of the same species that are caged together. I would not worry about the two birds in your household. Odds are they won't want to have much to do with each other. If anything, the issues you would probably have would be jealousies between the two birds over getting attention from the humans.

At our house we live with 2 Too's, 3 Greys 4 Tiels and 2 Budgies. They greys and The Elanora Too can be loose at the same time but I have to keep an eye on Pookie Cag she goes walk about amongst the dogs and cats, Gunner Tag who occassionaly bails out or chases the other 2 Greys. Umbie Too only gets out when fully supervised and other birds are safe in cages he is not to be trusted. Lots of air purifiers as both Too's and Greys are dusty birds.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two greys, two sun conures, a panama amazon and an umbrella cockatoo! All live in the same house and the same room (except the u2) in their own cages. When I am in my office, which is most of the day, they are all out of their cages. There is an obvious pecking order, Dixie rules the roost, but she was also the first. Everyone else could seem to careless as long as there is supervision. The conures share a cage, but once out are more than happy to play separately, and enjoy visiting with the other birds frequently, sharing toys and stands. The U2 is kept separated because he belongs to my son and is homed where he can spend the most time with him, however he does not stay in his cage awaiting his return home, he just sleeps in a different room.

The return of what you get from multiple parrots is what you put into them.

I've read that you're not supposed to have 2 birds, because they'll bond to each other and hate the human owner.

Thats just poppycock for I think that its better to have more than just one bird as they have some company in each other when they spend time alone like when I am at work. They have their separate cages but in the same room and they are bonded to me and not each other, in fact they could care less about the others as I am their important one so don't fear that you can only have one bird at a time.

We have 2 greys, 2 green cheeked conures and 3 sun conures. They have spacious cages and I'm convinced that having just another flock member they can spend time with is extremely positive.

If we have to spend time away occasionally and they don't get out-of-cage time for a day or so we know that they've at least got their buddy/buddies to keep them entertained.

Regarding the issue of breed: at one point we just had 1 grey and 1 sun conure. They were the best buddies ever...until we got another grey and another sun conure. Now they're kinda like me and my ex-wife: all contact is aggressive lol.

Is it possible to have a male and a female CAG without them bonding//mating as long as they are kept in separate cages?

I currently have a female CAG and have the opportunity to get a male but I don't want them to breed or lose interest in people. They would have separate cages but possibly outside of cage playtime together.....any advice or thoughts?

In a home setting where they are kept as pets they won't breed, they need special conditions for them to do that so no worries about babies if you happen to get a male. If you house them in separate cages, as you should do even if they get along great, they will still bond with you, they would be more like good company for each other being in the same room and if they get along when out on playstands together then consider that icing on the cake.