NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sock Buddy: Sweater sock for plucking parrots

Mama Buster

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and would like your advise. I have a 13 yr-old African Grey named Buster who is a plucker. I've been researching this topic for years and have implemented many different solutions: toys, lighting, diet, music, etc . . . I took her to an avian vet a few weeks ago and have confirmed through blood tests that she is healthy.

That said, one option I am trying is a "sock buddy" (see http://www.thesockbuddy.com) which strikes me as logical and has had good results. It takes time, but my Buster isn't real keen on this idea so far. We've been doing it for a few days and she has shredded several sweaters.

I'm wondering, has anyone here tried this for their bird? I'm wondering how long it generally takes for parrots to finally accept their sweater.

Thanks

If this plucking has been going on for a few years, more than likely your bird is a chronic plucker and the habit is ingrained into the brain. They actually feel more comfortable after the plucking.

There's 2 kinds of plucking

Chronic which I already explained and

Acute which has to do with a bird who will pluck for a while and then completely stop and who may do it again much later for a specific reason and stop again. Normally, they don't like plucking themselves and will stop as soon as what was causing the plucking subsides.

Ripping up sweaters isn't unusual. Those sweaters are used frequently on cockatoos and they only work for a while. As soon as it's off or they mutilate it, the plucking starts again. That's also chronic plucking. Cockatoos are well know for their serious plucking habits. Collars have been used on pluckers but if the bird is a chronic plucker, they won't work either and may actually harm the bird. No one can tell you how long it'll take to get used to it if at all. All greys are different from each other.

If you want a suggestion as far as another item to use, you can purchase a parrot Flight Suit which fits just like a sock but it's stronger.

Edited by Dave007

Like Dave said your bird may just be a chronic plucker and it may not help to solve the plucking problem but if you want something to kind of help the bird feel warm since it has no feathers on the chest then by all means try it. I recently saw a cockatoo that was wearing one of those sock covers but it was home made one, it wore it to protect it from the cold and it didn't mind it very much at all.

• 1 year later...

My 3-yr old CAG is a plucker. She started shortly after she became two. I have tried everything that has been suggested. I have been using the "sock buddy" and it is working. Wilma's feathers are returning and she actually seems happier. She does tend to destroy one sock buddy a week but it is better than plucking herself. I also give her read palm oil. I mix three days dose with a scrambled egg and give it to her over a three day period. She loves scrambled eggs. I also have a humidifier running near her cage during the winter and a UV light.

Just to warn you, Wilma destroyed her first two sock buddys within a day but now they last about a week. Just my two cents worth.

Have you tried hemp seed. My next door neighbor has an older male eclectus who has plucked for years and since giving hemp seed to him, he has been regrowing his feathers. I understand that a cockatoo that a friend of theirs has is also on the hemp seed regime and is doing nicely with stopping plucking. I think it is worth checking out on the internet.

• 2 years later...