NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Nervous, and scared.....anyone else like this before they got their grey??

Tamara

So, ive done my research, and my family and i have decided to get a Timneh. We want to wait a few more months, get more research and such first. Even though my heart is set on a Timneh, i am Nervous!! LOL y? I dont know. I suppose its like when your pregnant and nervous about having a baby. Did anyone else feel like this?? Im not sure if i want you to talk me out of it LMAO or talk me into it!! HAHAHA I guess i worry too much. I do have two small human children, who even though their little crap heads HAAHHAHAH, they listen very well when its something that is important. We have a parrotlet and they dont mess with her, and she HATES them LOL Im not so woried about a tag not liking them, i know they dont prefer children due to their fastness and startling them. I am home 5 days out of the week, and when at work, can bring my baby with me. So them being alone isnt an issue. Im not really sure why i am so scared. I guess im afraid of doing something wrong, making them pluck or something ya kno?......now im blabbing :D LOL Ok, so i guess the question is.......did you feel like this before getting your baby?? Any advice would be SOO GREAT!!!!!

Even though we already had several parrots, I did feel nervous before getting our grey. I had read a lot about greys, including about the famous Alex, and I'll admit I felt a little intimidated about it. We got our grey as a baby, and we handled him quite a bit in the shop before we brought him home, so at least we all knew each other. He was barely weaned when we brought him home, so I had to give him some supportive feedings of baby-like food with a spoon at first. I was sooo nervous about doing the right things by him.

Moussa is 9 months old now, and we are much more relaxed with him. We have learned each others habits and preferences and have been getting along great.

I can't tell you how excited I was to get my CAG. I went to visit him lots at the breeder while I was waiting to take him home. Taking pictures of him so I could fawn over him at home. Then at 9 weeks, I just couldn't wait anymore. I learned how to hand feed him and brought him home to love him forever more. We have been attached ever since. So if you mean giddy with excitement, I get that. I just read up on this site and kept asking questions. You can't go wrong if you really want to do good by your Grey.

I would think you WEREN'T normal if you weren't nervous... unless you own a ton of birds.

I too read up a bunch about AGs before getting mine but still was so nervous..

I think your comment about having a baby is probably a perfect analogy.

So glad to hear that im "normal" LOL in this sense :) It is totally scary and exciting, and the anticipation is killing me, but i want to do lots of more research! Ive printed a whole binder (literally lol i put the pages into a binder and catagorized them from food, to toys and care) and still want more! Thank everyone! Its so awsome to have people who are so willing to share and help here! This site, as i have said before, lol, is AWSOME!!!!

I was just excited about getting my grey, like a kid at Christmas. I kept emailing the breeder for pics every week & updates. When I got him things weren't quite how I expected them to be as he still needed some hand feeding even though I had bought a fully weaned 12 week old baby so then I started to get worried I might do the wrong thing. It all turned out ok in the end though. :)

I researched and worried too extensively before getting my first grey, Echo. I had experience with birds, but she was my first grey. I was super paranoid about doing the wrong thing since greys are often described as more emotionally delicate than other parrots. I soon learned that was a load of bull. My best advice is to not let them manipulate you. During Echo's first six months I was manipulated into not giving her regular baths with horrible results. Her skin was so dry that she did start plucking. Once regular baths were non-negotionable, her feather issues ceased. I also let her convince me that she wasn't getting enough to eat resulting in me feeding her too much of her favorite foods. Once I realized I was being bamboozled, she was back to eating a healthy diet! They are incredibly smart birds and know how to pull at our heart strings LOL!