NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP NEEDED and hints and tips plz........

Kimmono

Hello everyone

I have recently become a member of the grayforum.net because after some months i plan of being the owner of an African Gray, after learning and studding more about them (maybe this April i will buy one), and so i need so tips in term of prices that are often bought the African grays (especially in the region of eastern Europe where i live would be helpful) and what to see in them to understand if they are healthy or not and hot to recognize they're age. THNX IN ADVANCE.

I'm afraid that we won't be able to give you help concerning greys that are sold in eastern Europe. Prices here in the US are different than those in the UK but are generally similar. Here in the US, we have pet stores and private breeders where birds can be purchased. In the US, prices can range from $750 to $1200 depending upon where they're purchased and what kind of grey a person gets (there's 2 kinds).

As far as what to look for concerning health and a getting a decent bird, it's wise to look for a young bird that is not eating formula. The bird should be able to totally eat parrot food. Usually, after buying a bird, we in the US and Uk usually bring the baby bird to vet for a checkup and if something's wrong the seller refunds the money. Age can be determined up until the bird is about 2 yrs old. After that, the color of the eyes changes so age can't be known. The seller usually provides info about the age.

Dave is right about the price as it can range widely but please do all the research and reading you can before you totally commit to getting a grey, make sure it is really what you want, remember that the price of the bird is only part of the cost as there is the cage, toys, foods and vet bills that can run into lots more money spent.

I just re-homed a 6 year old Grey my self and she is wonderful, a bigger sweetheart than my 17 year Grey that I have had since weaned. I have nothing against buying a baby bird it is a matter of choice, but there are so many birds out there that are in need of a loving home. Best of luck