NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Diet change = Poop color Change ?????

hammco

I have changed Timmys diet from seeds ONLY to 50/50 seed/pellet for more nutrients and vitamins. (he still gets vegs, pastas, and fruits). Well his poop has changed from green and liquid-like to firm and orangeish-reddish with white urates. I called the vet and he said its OK but just wanted to check with yall. The pellets are bright in color so I assume his poop will be too kinda like when my daughter eats froot loops cereal...we get a colorful surprise in the diaper!! Ha Ha!

Any opinions :confused:

When I was feeding only seeds, then zupreem, Babalus poop was real mushy and stinky. Then I switched to Harrisons and now to TOPs and his poop is not stinky and is firm. I can now distinguish between pee and poo (I am not crazy:)) So I would say this is normal. TOPs is green so after he has eaten some of the pellets the poop has a green tint:)

Regarding the change in colour, it's entirely possible. Cleo most of the time refuses to eat any red pellets and either puts them in her water bowl, or flings them out for the dog to eat. When she does eat the red ones, the solid (usually) green part of the poop turns a reddy brown colour. Much like if you give them cherries or beetroot, the cage might end up looking something out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

As long as the poops still have the 3 parts (solid faeces, white urates, and clear urine), and no offensive odour, I'd say things are just fine. By the way having said that, sometimes the poos are more liquid, if they have been eating water-rich fruit and vegetables, or, like Cleo, who will drink half a gallon of water when showering with me.