NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Two Babies Greys

monipinkrose

I was just wondering is it ok if I keep two greys in a cage together? They would be about 3 months apart. They both would still be babies. Is it better if they are both the same gender or does it matter? Would they get along as they grow up? I plan not to breed them but to keep them as pets. Does anybody own 2 adult greys because I want to know if they would become really loud? If anyone has any information or experience it would be much appreciated.

Yes, many people own 2 or more greys, babies and adults. No, it's not ok to put 2 together no matter what their age. They'll grow up and lose their attention for you. No, it doesn't matter what gender they are but if male and female are together, they will try to breed. No one can answer whether any 2 parrots will get along with each other whether they're together from the time theuy're very young. All parrots get older and their personalities change. No, they're very quiet birds.

I would advise to get lots of literature concerning african grey parrots. You'll need to first know lots of basic information about african grey species.

All greys are different and you should just see what works for you and both of them, I don't think there is a set answer for this. Have separate cages at the start and see how they interact together outside the cage. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with having 2 greys in the same cage. If the cage is big enough or a divided cage they will easily have their own space. We have 2 greys and they live in the same cage and we have had no bonding issues, we have only experienced positive things.

Having two together will hamper the full personalities and capabilities and talents of each bird. A person never sees or knows about that until the birds are actually separated. Many people don't even know that those things exist. I've seen it hundreds of times. Having two together doesn't allow each bird to design it's own *home* which is different than the next bird. Some people are into talking birds and that too will get hampered.

There's no way to tell if two birds will or won't bond with each other when together. There's no way to tell if bonding with the owner will be hampered. There's much more chance of all these good things happening if the birds are in their own cage which is actually their custom designed *home*. There's plenty of time for two birds to be together outside of the cage.

The two baby birds that are put together will definitely be different birds as they grow older and may not tolerate each other or on the other hand, may tolerate each other but not tolerate the owner. The owner has a much better chance of dealing with each one alone. AND, telling a novice to greys that it's ok but who doesn't have any experience with greys is a dangerous thing .