NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quivering

Azzie

Very often Cleo will quiver her breast and belly feathers when I approach her in her cage and talk to her, much like they do after a shower. Given the absence of any signs of aggression, I take this to mean she is excited or interested? Can anyone confirm or deny please?

ozzie is the same, especially if he is excited and/or in a lovey dovey mood sometimes he hangs his wings down real low too :)

Ali I think you got something different going on with Ozzie, those wings held low means he is sexually aroused so don't do anything to encourage that, just say "thanks but no thanks" and walk away for a bit.

Ali I think you got something different going on with Ozzie, those wings held low means he is sexually aroused so don't do anything to encourage that, just say "thanks but no thanks" and walk away for a bit.

Does it mean anything when they lower their heads and kind of bow while raising their wings up and behind them? Because Marcus does that sometimes on the floor and my hubby suggested maybe that's part of a mating dance or something? But I think it's more like stretching... Oh, these lovely, complicated birds!!! :D

A typical birdie stretch starts on one side and involves them stretching a leg out and a wing down and behind, showing all the feathers. Then typically both wings go up, and the other leg and wing get done.

The 6th photo shows a bird stretching, in the typical ice skaters position http://virtuallyamy.wordpress.com/2008/09/06/birds-my-parrotlet/

This shows a parrot doing the I love you thing. Notice the panting and how the wings are away from the body and lowered. This can be accompanied by regurgitating.

Edited by Azzie

This shows a parrot doing the I love you thing. Notice the panting and how the wings are away from the body and lowered. This can be accompanied by regurgitating.

And this behavior should never be encouraged, when your bird does this just say "thank you, I love you too" then walk away for a bit for it will only frustrate them further if allowed to continue.

Quivering without panting is usually a sign of excitement. If she is only quivering her chest, she is excited. If she is quivering her whole body, more than likely she is frightened. Tui loves to stand at the window and as soon as I take him here, he quivers his chest. When he does this, I know he is a happy fid ;)

Meanwhile lol I still don't know why Cleo would quiver like that when I stand in front of her cage. Is she excited?

It is normal behavior in most Greys. They will also many times fluff up and place their head down as you stand and talk to them. If this is a grey you have had a long time and it is happy and excited to see you. A new grey shaking and puffing up is a hostile reaction in most cases.

When I approach the cage first thing in the morning, Dayo will walk up with breast shivering slightly, puff his feathers up and bend his head down, at which point I give him some scratches and we say good morning to each other. He will also do this through out the day when I am working and take a break to interact with him through the cage bars. Sometimes he likes to hang upside down and I tickle his breast. :)

Ahh cheers, thanks for that guys. I guess then indeed she is happy and excited to see me. I've had Cleo for about 18 months now, and I am still learning to speak parrot. I think I am doing ok, judging the way she interacts and how I understand most of her non-verbal cues. And Dan, she indeed fluffs up and bends her head, but she is only just learning to enjoy scritches. I guess it doesn't help that she feels like a soft feathered cactus at the moment, as she is going through a moult.