NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cody has stinky poop

Codys Mom

he had some really stinky poop this afternoon ,trying to figure out why, he ate his regular pellet mixture , but this was late afternoon so he had not ate any veggies yet

he has been eating his pellet mix , fresh veggies and he gets a night time handfeeding , sometimes if he eats alot of his pellet mix and his veggies we skip the nightly feeding , if he insists and gets loud then he gets a nightly feeding , I take it night by night with him because he eats so much and I don't want to over fill him

could it be all the mixtures of different foods he is eating or the mixture of pellets and the goldenfeast? I checked tonight before he went to bed and his poop was normal and no smell

Was Cody confined to his cage for an unusually long time in the afternoon? These Greys don't like to poop in their cage sometimes and will hold it until they get out. Sometimes the poops can have a bit of an odor when they've been held for a while.

Agreed with Xtreme. Smelly poop can be an indicator of a bacterial infection called Clostridium, which can be deadly to a bird. If you get another smelly poop, take a fresh sample of it and take it to the vet for microscopic analysis and a culture.

• 2 weeks later...

well the odor is back I thought it was just the handfeeding formula becuase now that he is off formula it seemed to have went away for awhile then this morning I smelled it again it's not a real strong odor but you can definitly smell it , I made him a vet apoinment for Dec 1st it's the soonest I can get him in and I'am going to take a sample with me to the vets

he has been eating the Birdie Bistro cajun bean mix and I add in some chopped up kale,peppers,carrots,cooked sweet potatoe and cooked summer squash , thats been his dinner most of last week and besides that he gets his pellets , Roudybush and Harrisons with some goldenfeast mix and a few walnuts and almonds so he isn't eating anything out of the ordinary o wait he did have some blackberries and pomagranite yesterday and today

• 2 weeks later...

Cody's vet appoinment got cancelled , not by me but the vet had an emergency so I had to make another one now his appointment is for Dec 8th at 4:30 , it's only that first poop in the morning he does that has an odor to it the rest seem to be fine , I'am going to take a sample of it that morning and take that to the vet, should I put that in a small plastic bag and put it in the frig until time for us to go? or just leave it out room tempature?

Call and ask the vet which way they want it, mine told me to let them first poop on a wet paper towel and then put it in a plastic bag. I have to bring poop back in a couple of weeks for a second check they all had either a yeast infection or a bacteria infection, which she claims is nothing to be alarmed about but no stinky poop.