NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Zons and Greys and flying

Ray P

There have been a number of post about amazon and greys and the way they fly.

Very often you will hear them say a grey is like a football with wings but if you look at pictures from the members in the photo room they are awsome and my grey can do all kinds of things in the air.

When my zon flys she looks like a C 130 cargo plane comming in for a landing(slow & dirty) with flaps and landing gear down.

Don`t misunderstand me I love my zon too but football with wings makes a grey sound so unbird like.

Any coments.

LOL, I call my Louie my samurai helicopter. He is clumsy and muscle bound but hovers beautifully. Ana Grey is a sleek missile who can maneuver any which way and is quick and accurate. Now Sully, my ekkie, who didn't fly for about 9 years more or else jumps and glides not really flapping his wings at all. He stays low. They are all so different and beautiful in flight each in their own way.

That is my point. Corky can maneuver and can hit a fast moveing targe dead on that is why I don`t understand there being called a football with wings.

they can do so much with their flying but some say they are not gracefull with their flying. Just look at some of the pictures.

I love watching my zon fly as she plunks down on her target.

A football with wings seams to fit my zon more that my grey.

Edited by Ray P

Great Topic Ray!

My amazon (Nilah) flies EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! SHE seems to be going thru the terrible two's. Flying all over to get into what ever she chooses for the moment. She flys like a missile.........don't get in her way, she puts so much power into her flying, she'll hit you head on! She is a bit clumsy on her landing, not gentle like my greys. But watch out, when we hear wings flapping, we get out of her way and we all duck!!!

Kura, my ekkie, really does fit that description. All the more so because Phenix & Charm flit & turn so neatly.

Once Kura's airborne, she's magnificent. But her take off is extremely awkward if she can't jump & glide. Her landings can be scary to watch. She's just never learned to fly. She doesn't seem to want to :confused: She's very content to just hang out on her cage or whatever perch I put her on.

Whoever said that a grey looks like a football with wings is crazy.

Morgan is still learning to fly I think and was clipped long when I got him. He can take off and fly across the room and then "plunk" down to land. Dixie seems to be the more graceful of the two, she twists and turns in mid-air and can land cleanly on anything. She's learning to come to me on command, which is amazing when it happens, and her landings are like she's just gently touching her feet onto water. I've never though there was a difference in the way a bird fly's but apparently there is!