NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm worried!

Cheshire Cat

I went to a pet shop today at my local mall and they had in a fair few parrots including four Greys, a couple of Amazons and a Macaw. As usual, I was talking away with the Greys, but one thing that I noticed after a while was that none of them had leg rings. I also looked at the Amazons and they didn't either.

What are the legalities of leg rings? I assumed all captive bred parrots legally had to have leg rings. I'm worried about where these poor birds are from. I had Tui from another pet shop but all their staff know what they're talking about and don't just give you any old rubbish to sell. When I had Tui, the man who sold her to us actually knows the breeder and knew a lot on Greys himself.

I know price shouldn't be an issue, but when I was looking around for a Grey, I asked in the pet shop where these birds are now without rings, and the going price was over a £100 more than what we paid for Tui who came from a reputible breeder.

I was wondering whether to report the pet shop but I don't know the full legalities on leg rings and wondered if someone could fill me in. I've looked online, but some sites are a little vague.

There doesn't have to be any rings on birds in any country that legally imports and exports birds which the UK still does. That's been banned here in the US since 1992. Also, any birds that are sold in pet shops don't have to be banded because the birds aren't gotten from a private breeder.

***I'm worried about where these poor birds are from.***

The only time you should be worried is when the birds look in terrible condition. Many people in many areas in many countries have to depend upon pet shops in order to buy animals. Anyway, when buying a bird from a pet shop, the pet shop gives out their warranties/guarantees and any other info they usually give out.

A very young grey's age, up to a point, can be seen in the color of the eyes.

AS far as price, all parrots sold in pet shops cost more than what a private breeder charges.

Thank you for feedback on this. I really wasn't sure about the rings as all Greys I've seen have always had leg rings. This is the first time I've seen them without rings and it was four of them all being sold together. I personally don't like buying from this shop anyway as they do charge over the top prices on animals and food/toys etc.

The only thing I noticed about them was how dirty and unkept their tail feathers looked. Other than that they looked in reasonable condition and seemed friendly.

I've looked once again through the Internet for information on the UK's legalities on leg ringing captive bred birds and can't find anything, so I've e-mailed the Parrot Society UK for clarification. These poor birds are worrying me.

Edited by Cheshire Cat

Looking forward to hearing what you may find out from the parrot society. Also, if I read your post correctly, did you say they wanted to sell them all together not separately? Are they all housed in a single cage? Are their tail feather all completely red?

Looking forward to hearing what you may find out from the parrot society. Also, if I read your post correctly, did you say they wanted to sell them all together not separately? Are they all housed in a single cage? Are their tail feather all completely red?

They were put in two cages, two birds in each and did look quite cramped. The cages looked smaller than the one I have for Tui, and she's one bird on her own. Their tail feathers were a very dirty red and had a lot of dark markings on them. When I had Tui her tail feathers were a little broken as she was on the bottom of the cage a lot (I'd seen her a couple of times in the pet shop) but her feathers have always been bright.

I asked on Facebook about it only to have some guy I know trying to tell me that it's better to have birds without rings - I realised that he works at the store I referred to in my post, although I didn't actually mention the name of it. He must have realised and got defensive about it. But I don't believe that at all. Every bird I've seen on sale over here has always had a leg ring. This is the first time I've seen Greys and Amazons on sale anywhere without leg rings and this is why I've got suspicious.

Edited by Cheshire Cat