NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Bedtime cage

pearllyn

We do not have a sleep cage for any of our birds. They have large cages that they are in and out of during tha day and they sleep in them.

We do cover them when they sleep and the cages are in the main part of the house were we spend almost all of our time.

A 24" cube is about perfect for a sleep-only cage. It can house the essential food and water bowls along with a couple of toys. Gabi especially likes hers. She has never had the cage door closed but is always found there once the lights go out.

As mentioned by FirstPenguin, the King's aluminum travel is a great choice - go for the larger one, which is about 20"x29". The advantage is it can double up as a sleep cage and for travel.

• Haha 1

I don't have a sleep cage either, mostly because I don't have the room. I just cover the cage at night. I also got one of those sleep tents. Got it Friday and so far it is being avoided.

Also, Malikah, that play stand is awesome. Did you make it?

I don't use sleep cages either but I have the room for them, just felt they were unnecessary but their cages are covered for the night.

A 24" cube is about perfect for a sleep-only cage. It can house the essential food and water bowls along with a couple of toys.

Dave has the right idea, something big enough to hold some food and water and maybe a couple of toys for they are only sleeping in it and not living in it.

I agree sleep cages aren't necessary if you have a bird room type setup but are more beneficial than most people think. I feel only water is necessary in a sleep cage. Toys can potentially cause night frights if they're bumped, make noise, or otherwise spook your bird while sleeping. If the cage is properly covered there really isn't any need for toys unless you plan on your bird spending waking hours in this cage.

My fids sleep in their everyday cages, uncovered. They are in a bird room that I can darken as needed. I do have large travel cages in the other rooms so Sully can sit in one as he does not like to be outside of a cage but he does like to be able to see me. These are great cages for when I go to my daughter's as they are large enough for the birds to stretch.

My fids sleep in their everyday cages, uncovered. They are in a bird room that I can darken as needed. I do have large travel cages in the other rooms so Sully can sit in one as he does not like to be outside of a cage but he does like to be able to see me. These are great cages for when I go to my daughter's as they are large enough for the birds to stretch.

Do you know which one you have? If not what are the rough dimensions?

Funny. I have the smaller version for our Senegal which we purchased from windy city parrots site. Not crazy about the construction but for a change of location it's great. SO much lighter than the kings cage stuff. We take it into central park during the summer for flock picnics. We call it her office. So we can say, "Where is evie?" "She at the office."

Thanks Gina, yes I made the playstand. It is kind of naked in the pic because I just got done cleaning and re-wrapping it. I got the plans from a book.

Even though I have a bird room, I still like to put her in the sleeping cage at night. I would hate for her to go flying around the room and get hurt if startled by a thunderstorm or something. The curtains are light and there is a nightlight in there as well.

Thanks for the replies folks. I forgot to mention that Alfie has a birdy bunk which she absolutely loves - she will settle down anywhere for the night, so long as her birdy bunk is there! It's roughly a foot square, so Dave's suggestion of a cage around 24x24" should just about do it.

At the minute Alfie sleeps in her daytime cage which is in the main sitting area of our home, with a cover over her cage. I just never feels she gets enough sleep - we are quite late to bed at times and I feel sure she gets disturbed. I'm very excited about being able to give her a seperate bedroom!

Thanks again.

x

Lyn, We love our sleep cages for a variety of reasons. At bed time we have a routine and ritual where Java has some snuggle time and then I ask if she wants to go to bed, when she goes in the sleep cage in the bedroom, she gets an almond. After she eats her almond she shouts at me to come back in to turn off the light. I know she would sleep as well in the living room just by covering her cage, but the routine and ritual gives her the ability to predict what is going to happen next. Also, our family lives far away and if we got a call to leave in a hurry, her sleep cage is also her travel cage, so it would be ready to go in an instant in an emergency. I hope never to have to use it for an emergency, but when I think of birds getting out the door, I have a couple of these small sleep cages that would be easy to set outside to hopefully entice her back home again. I do know Java likes her sleep cage because when I ask if she is ready to go to bed, she usually flies in there before I can get the almond out of the jar.

I do know Java likes her sleep cage because when I ask if she is ready to go to bed, she usually flies in there before I can get the almond out of the jar.

Thanks Dee. I love that Java is so happy to go to bed - I have to peel Alfie off of my fingers to get her into her bed! I'm hoping that once she has her own room and we get into a new routine she will be happier to say nighty night.

Kito can be a stinker at bedtime too. I have learned to turn off the light in the birdroom before I take her in there. Otherwise she will fly onto the playstand and refuse to step up. If the light is off she will snuggle on my shoulder and let me pet her for a few minutes before I put her in the cage.

You know, come to think of it, we have had four years to perfect our night time routine and there were a lot of nights early on that it seemed like putting a toddler to bed... lots of distractions, chasing her from room to room and trying to dodge her tricks. It just took repetition, rewards for cooperation and consistency but it sure has paid off in the long run. I think what I like best is that her roost cage is in my room, covered, and it just makes me wake up with a smile because as soon as I stir, she starts making cautious little whispers or low whistles, testing the water, making sure I am the one she hears in the room. Once, I was coming in the room and bumped her cage by accident and she made a really big sound, like a hawk. I guess she was scaring off a predator, LOL. So, there I have a guard in my room too, just a bonus.

4 years Dee? Hmm, there's hope for us yet then!

I have learned to turn off the light in the birdroom before I take her in there. Otherwise she will fly onto the playstand and refuse to step up. .

Lol - I wish! Alfie has no hesitations about flying into a darkened room. Your snuggles with Kito sound lovely!