NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What type of cage to go with???

Beakster

Ok been doing a lot of searching online.. For a cage I see we have Powder coated , Aluminum, an Stainless Steel.. What does everyone prefer ??

Powder Coated - I seen up an downs on these, but how long are they good for...

Aluminum - ????? I haven't seen much

Stainless Steel - being the best to last the longest..

Will look forward to any input!

Here is the one link I was checking prices out is there better prices out there in Canada

http://www.wctropicalbird.com/king_cages.htm

Just wanna start out on on the right foot

Thanks

Shawn

If you can afford the stainless steel as a first cage, then I would go with that. My cage is a SS but it is the second cage and hopefully the last. They are easy to clean, and look real nice:) The powder coated cages may chip or ware in a few years. I do not know much about aluminum, but I have looked at them online just to see the colors and stuff.

...birds aside, I know a bit about the metals and coatings you are asking about due to my career.

Like Kim said, SS is the best!

1. SS is simply the best, it will outlast us and still look good.

2. Alum is great as well, but can oxidize over time and look a bit worn...dont get me wrong tho, still easy to clean and lasts long...also lightweight

3. powdercoat is basically raw steel coated on a baked on paint. It WILL rust. It WILL stain. It will look shabby in a few years, but still will last a long time.

Due to $$$, I have a powdercoated cage, but timmy only eats and sleeps in it so Im cool with it. He stays on various perches and playgrounds that I made during the day.

Hope this helps!

If the Alum. oxidizes over time can that cause harm in any way??? I think I could put up with worn down look after many years.. I just don't wanna buy something an have to replace it in a few years.. There homes can be costly.. But so can ares!!! LOL

What are the sizes most people have for there African Grey???

Thanks

Shawn

I have ordered an Hq cage from http://www.parrotdiseperch.com

its the 28x36 inch dometop cage I think its a great size

at Westcoast tropical bird studio "the lodge" powder coated cage was a good size as well as the "condominium" I was really liking the aluminum cages by kings cages, but I don't think they are really big enough for a grey

like everyone else mentioned stainless steel is the longest lasting but I couldn't afford both the bird and the cost of the stainless cage at the same time, I think powder coated will last long enough for the cost of the cage

A decent quality powder coated cage can last quite a while, if it's treated right. It's lifespan will be shortened by things like power washing, chemicals or being left out in the sun.

My cages have gone about 8+ years without anything more than some occasional surface rust at the feed doors. The birds take baths, so there isn't much that can be done about that. I just take them apart & clean them with lemon juice & salt every so often.

Cost aside, I'm honestly glad to get new cages periodically. I've learned what I like with each cage. Cages are getting designed better, too, even though I think they can still improve. And it's just fun to get a whole new set up after a while.

Unfortunately, "better quality" can be a bit of a crap shoot. Phenix' first big cage was a King's Cage. I spent a fortune & it got ugly faster than any other cage I've had. I've never bought another one since.

Kura is in a 32nd hand Prevue Hendryx macaw cage that I got at yard sale. It's heavy gauge chrome plated wire & hasn't got a mark on it. Huge door, cleans up super. Doesn't weigh as much as the wrought iron so it moves around nicely. It's one of my favorite cages.