NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hen Laid an Egg and is now defecating yolk

omni

My African Grey hen laid a single egg last night. She had no interest in the egg so I removed it from her cage.

This morning I there was yolk and a tiny bit of blood along with her normal elimination. I am not sure if this is normal or if I need to take her to the vet.

I've read about peritonitis and egg binding and I'm a bit concerned.

I'm not a very experienced bird owner, so I'm not sure what is normal and what isn't.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

If any egg binding was involved, the bird would have needed to be brought to a vet so that special lubricants would be used to let the egg ease out.

Yes, it's important to take your bird to the vet immediately. There's a possibility that there may be another egg there and it may have cracked ( you said you saw yolk). At 6 yrs, she's an adult and some will lay an egg without a mate. It happens rarely and it happens to hens that have serious internal problems. Your bird doesn't fit that description.

The vet may simply find that the whole pressure of having an egg is what caused the small amount of blood. We can only give possibilities here. You need a professional answer.

Personally, I don't think you're gonns have a big problem. This periodically happens with a hen. But you're very wise to bring him to a vet to ease your mind. More than likely, the Vet will put some antibiotic cream on the area to prevent possible infection and possible irritation that may be there. Good luck.