NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Nipping or Biting?

JDS5607

Since we picked Sully up from the airport, I have always given him "crazy kisses" on his beak and cheeks. He spreads his wings just a little and makes little excited grunting noises, and can't get enough of them. However, over the past week he has begin to bite a little harder on my nose and lips, and it's beginning to hurt. I'm wondering if this is him just kind of learning what is "too hard", or if he is trying to tell me he doesn't want my kisses anymore :(

Any ideas? He doesn't do it any other time, but he does bite a little hard on our fingers sometimes. I know it comes with the territory, but I don't want to keep giving him crazy kisses if he doesn't want me in his face.

I read "crazy kisses" as a shower of rapid kisses? If that's the case, you might try just being a little slower & less animated. Make lighter contact or only kiss his chest for the moment. He may just be getting carried away, now that he's comfortable with what you're doing.

Kura's the only one I can do that with because she's incredibly gentle. But she get's a little rough when she gets excited & forgets she has such a big beak. We just stop whatever. I tell her she hurt me, then try again. She usually gets it & quits chomping. If she doesn't I stop because I know she doesn't want to play.

If it turns out that Sully really doesn't want kisses, don't take it personally. It may just be a phase he's going through.

Yep- Showering him with kisses is what I mean by crazy kisses :) That's what I call them to him- I gotta remember to start speaking human! lol, and yes, his wings droop down and out and he wiggles... he does the same thing when I'm getting him out of his cage in the mornings and when I start shaking the cashew jar!

I am hoping he is just getting super excited. I did it a little bit ago, and he bit my nose, but when I said "ooouch!!!" he backed of and gave me gentle kisses on my forhead.

He knows how to make up for it ;)

Well, first off, you shouldn't be kissing him on the mouth. As of right now, you got a tiny nip but as time goes on, one day he's gonna take a chunk out of your lip. He knows that his bite can be stronger, Right now, it's so cute but later on it won't be so cute and you may bleed. He's already showing signs of wanting to put pressure on different places and as he grows, the pressure will get stronger. It's a very common thing here to listen to people who've came here after receiving their first serious bite. They say

***Oh my god, what did I do***

***Is he angry with me***

***He was never like this before***

***He was always so sweet***

***How come he never did it before***

***Why didn't anyone tell me about this before***

So many people don't know they're dealing with a wild animal who'll do everything with the mouth first--biting, eating, investigating, chewing, playing. It all starts with the mouth.

Plus, you can pass on germs to your bird if he accidently ingests your saliva.

Edited by Dave007

Watch his body language and especially how his feathers lie. It's usually the best indication of whether a bite is coming your way or not. He may just be getting overly excited by your crazy kisses and so his kisses are going to be just as crazy. I might back off on them and go with simple gentle kisses for now. You don't want to instigate something that could land you with stitches in your lip.

Dave is sooooo right, as always. In the blink of the eye, your lip or other facial spot can be bitten through like butter and it is not really a violent act by your Grey. They are simply excited and as you get more excited, so do they. When Dayo is excited anplaying or pissed, he is not allowed on my shoulder and I certainly do not put my face or any other body part near him. I know he will bite playing and it will draw blood. I sported a 3/8 inch smiley on the side of my nose until healed due to a bad mistake on my part saying goodnight about 2 years ago.... fortunately it healed in a few weeks with no scar. I also had my lip bloodied around that same time period a few months earlier and he was just giving me a "Kiss"...

Please listen to what Dave said and take it very seriously. The do not know they are inflicting as much damage as you may receive in such soft areas with a beak tip pointed like a knife tip just giving a love nip like they do to their wild mates..

There's nothing sexual going on when a baby bird does that. It's called *exploration* which a baby bird does when investigating, reacting, being aggressive, being defensive, leery, curious, playful just about all the time it's awake. Yes, body language should be learned. It's a permanent thread here but many things that a baby bird does has nothing to do with body language especially when their abilities of having body hasn't yet developed. Dan said that his bird got him real good in the past. My birds have gotten me quite a few times to the point where I now know the magic words ***Don't intrude***. Many people do intrude but not on purpose. A bird that shouldn't be a *shoulder bird* is only learned about by the owner after the bird has been on that shoulder and caused havoc on the skin, jewelry, clothing, hair, eye glasses, ear lobes etc. Then serious aggression happens when the person tries to remove the bird from the shoulder.

I have to say that the first thing I thought of with the kisses on the mouth was human germs. I have read that we shouldn't allow our birds to eat from our food where we have been eating because of the germs in the human mouth. So I have never gotten my mouth close to my birds. Of course I am paranoid!

Wow

I have to say I'm pretty shocked that all of you responded this way! I have kissed all of my birds their whole lives, and sure.. I've gotten bitten, even almost all the way through my eyebrow by our nanday, but it has never made me want to stop kissing them. To me, it's a risk you take when you have birds!

I feel that I'm the only one in here who kisses their birds on the beak!! My "bird friends" all do it- and they've had their macaws for 20-30 years and still do it. I thought it was the norm!

Jenn - Don't get me wrong, I do kiss Dayo on the beak directly when I know he is relaxed and he expects it by leaning forward if I ask "Do you wanna Kiss". I have learned over the years, I cannot trust him if he is excited and playing, because he is in play mode and just does not realize at times it doesn't take much to pierce a lip. I also give Jake (Conure) kisses the same way.

In regards germs, my kisses are dry and their is no saliva present to pass on any germs. I also allow him to eat off my plate and have never had a problem at all in regards germs passing that way either.

The most important things for all parrot owners to do, is know their bird and their body language. Once you know it, you know when a step-up or kiss is safe, in my opinion. :)

I was giving Charlie kisses through the bars on his cage the other day and he punched my lip with his sharp little beak and drew blood. I am very careful to only kiss the top of Kito's beak when she is all cuddly and puffy before bedtime. Otherwise I can give her a "hug" when I get her out in the morning or when she is on her t-stand and kiss the back of her neck. That's the only time she makes the kiss noise back.

I kiss my fids all the time. But...

Since it's a little like sticking my head in a lion's mouth, I'm always sure to make it on their terms. I do it to show affection, not as play. So, it's low energy & very short duration.

I am also aware that we can be trading bacteria. So, I usually aim for the body with a lot less kisses on the top of the beak/head.

Bobbing the head back & forth at another can be a threatening posture for parrots. Actually connecting can be considered aggression. So I avoid that type of contact to keep from getting nailed on any given day when someone's being moody.

I kiss all my birds all the time, with Josey she comes up to me and I kiss her beak and she never touches me with her tongue, she will kiss my hubby too if he asks though occasionally she doesn't want to and he is ok with that. She has never bitten me but I am careful to respect her wishes if she isn't in the mood for whatever I ask, I don't want to force m self on her. I also kiss her neck but only if I get the signals she wants it if not then I might try later.

You do what you are comfortable with and if you feel you can trust your bird to not bite you.