NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PetSmart - Not so smart about about pets

Kaleah

So, today I went to PetSmart for some birdie toys and to look at play stands. I got some toys and found this cute little table top play stand for under $40. It was labeled for small to medium birds and on the front of the box was an Amazon playing on this play stand. I figured if the Zon could fit on it, maybe my Grey could too but I wanted to be sure so I stopped the woman working in the bird department and asked about what sized birds would be able to fit on it. She simply looked at the box and said, in an unsure voice "parrots." I wanted to roll my eyes but didn't. I told her what kind of bird I have and what I was looking for. So then I asked if they carried the same stand but for medium to large birds and she gave me a weird look and said "maybe not like that but something similar". She took me to this back shelf and pointed to a CAGE with a play stand, only it was for cockatiels. After nearly 5 minutes of me explaining things again and her still not getting it she finally told me to look on their website and walked away.

I only go to the big chains in a pinch. They're usually over priced and a poor selection low quality for bird related stuff. Many of them sell birds from some parrot mill. However they've stopped selling puppies and kittens because of the bad PR it's received in the past decade. I don't see why birds should be any different. Just my two cents.

Even worse is PETCO. I have a friend whose son works there (the kid is 21 years old and in school for Marine Biology and works at PETCO 20-ish hours/week) and my friend's son tells us NIGHTMARES about PETCO. Apparently PETCO just wants money and is anti-animal. But they do everything in their power to appear pro-animal. But they don't care. It's a dang shame and I wish the public knew what actually is going on there since PETCO was bought by a new buyer(s) a few years ago or so.

Judy, I totally get your drift! Unfortunately I don't think they woman from PetSmart would. Those people know nothing when it come to the products they sell, and the animals they sell for that matter. Those poor birds have people hitting the glass for them to move all day long. If someone came into my house and did that to any of my birds cages, I'm afraid I might have to hit them back. And, if I had had the extra money yesterday, I would have been bringing home a gorgeous little Meyers parrot. He/she screamed for me when I walked away from their cage. Broke my heart knowing that bird will go to a home where they are as knowledgable about it as the workers caring for it.

I would like to share this story about my cockatiel nemed Willie.

A number of years ago I was in a chain store that had birds and when I would go there I would always stop to see them.

One day I was by the birds and this tiel was by the bars by me and I was giving him a head rub and a lady came up to the cage and said it was too bad and every bird in that

cage would be dead in 6 months and than she walked away. Well I bought that bird and had to explane to my wife why I came home with a bird when we had 4 already.

The store was F.W. Woolworth for those that can remember them and that was over 20 years ago and he lived longer than 6 months and infact he is still with us.

I don`t know what his age is but we know he is almost 21 years old.

I think about thoes bird from time to time and wonder how long they lived

Edited by Ray P

I had a similar experience at petsmart while looking for a dish when Cosmo was a baby. I wanted something heavy enough that he could stand on the rim without it tipping. An older lady led me around the store showing me little light stainless dishes.

However on another visit I was checking out and the young lady(in her teens) running the register inquired what kind of bird i had. We ended up having a nice conversation where she proved to be very knowledgable about Greys as well as other larger parrots. Certainly proves you cant lump all the employees of an establishment or chain into a set stereotype :)

• 3 months later...

I know what you mean. When I was thinking about getting a bird I visited several pet stores. They all said they had hand fed babies. I asked to hold one of the birds (cockatiel) at one store and the lady proceded to put on heavy duty gloves to GRAB the bird out of the cage. Poor bird was scared to death I'm sure. Another store I went to I asked the same thing and the lady gently put her hand in the cage and 'my bird to be' got right on her hand and then on mine. What a difference! There is definately a difference in the cleanliness of places too. You just have to do some research of where to go. I think this forum should be a great place for advice too. I am new here and excited to find out new things about my feathered friends.