NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Clipped wing dilemma

jwl

My Gracie had her wings clipped when we got her at eight months old. I have read where not having the ability to fly affects learning, and self confidence etc. She is now one and a half years old. It seems that she might be slow at learning new words. Could clipping the wings be a problem here? At one and a half years old I do not know what to expect her progress to be. Do Grays continue to learn new words and training all through there life at the same rate?

Greys, like humans continue to grow & learn their entire lives. Although stimulus & interaction can make a difference, they develop at their own unique pace.

Gracie may not seem to say much yet, but that doesn't mean that she won't unleash a torrent at some point. She may be a closet talker for the moment. Some birds debut their vocabulary only after they're certain they've got it perfect.

Just keep working with her & be patient... & be careful what you wish for. You might find the day will come when you miss this quiet phase.:)

Clipped wings has nothing to do with talking. You may have read about learning and self confidence but that only pertains to a bird's lack of confidence concerning flying.

Learning has to do with how long the process of flying is gonna take. A very young bird who's been clipped often develops what you're talking about. In my opinion, it's a terrible thing to clip wings but that's just my opinion. A very young bird builds confidence as he gets stronger and more coordinated and sure of himself. The bird's body becomes stronger. The muscles get stronger if unclipped. All clipped wings need to fall out naturally and be replaced by new ones but that can be an uneven process. Many times it can take a long time to happen.

****Do Grays continue to learn new words and training all through there life at the same rate? ***

Greys that talk will learn more words and sounds when they feel like it. All greys are different from each other and training is also an individual thing between the owner and the bird.

Greys that talk will learn more words and sounds when they feel like it. All greys are different from each other and training is also an individual thing between the owner and the bird.

Harvey's testament to that! I have said "I love you" 1 zillion times since he was born - and he has NEVER said it - but "Where's Tom" which I said once he seems to like - and bingo - his new favourite saying!! They say what they want, when they want - and I don't think repetition works - I think they say what they like the sound of.

You don't say whether you are letting the clip grow out? I'm with Dave - birds were born to fly and I am against clipping (unless there are outstanding issues and it is a must) ~ it's a joy to watch them scoot around the house (and there's no personal time anymore)!!!

Oh so true, I have tried to get Ana Grey to say, "I'm a pigeon" for over a year and no dice. I stubbed my toe and said "F_ _ _ It" just once in real pain and it stuck like glue for a while. It still pops up every now and then (from Ana Grey not me, I learned my lesson) and I just have to ignore it and hope no one else can understand her!!!!

Thank you all for the information. I feel a lot better now that I understand.

I am letting her feathers grow out. That offers a problem that I do not know what I will do. We live in Panama where the weather is always nice. Gracie lives outside on the covered terrace during the day and sleeps indide at night in her sleep cage. We let her have the run of her big cage with the door open. She get her excercise by climbing around on the terrace railing. Our house is open and we only close the doors and widows at nigh. So what to do when she starts to fly again. I hate the idea of keeping her in the cage all the time. She loves being outside and we want her to have as mcuh freedom as we can.

You are going to have a problem when her feathers grow out and she regains flight, can you put screens on your windows to keep her inside the house without sacrificing the fresh air but I am by no means saying you should clip her, please don't but you are going to have to get creative in doing what you have to keep her safe.

Be patient. I used to wonder if Tobie would ever talk. I'll never forget the time my husband came into the bedroom and woke me up at 6:00 in the morning to tell me that as he passed by Tobie's cage Tobie said "What's up". I jumped out of bed and ran to the cage waiting to hear it again. It was a week before he graced us with his "what's up" again. Now he chatters continuously.

Maggie has her wings clipped (a long clip, but still clipped). She's too young to talk yet but we're anxiously awaiting the day she decides to grace us with her voice. I think we're going to wind up having to really watch what we say. In the privacy of our own home we definitely talk in a way we wouldn't want her speaking to strangers!