NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PTFB/ Teflon question

dw310

I have a teflon question: I bought a breadmaker yesterday, only to discover the bread pan has non-stick (teflon) coating. So I posted on a breadmaking forum, asking if there were any breadmakers with stainless steel bread pans out there (answer to that is 'no.") Below is the response I got. What do you all think? Anybody have any more info on this? Thanks!!

PTFE's are toxic to birds if they are overheated. It should be OK at bread baking temperatures--about 350 degrees or so. And, because of the computer control, you are unlikely to overheat or burn with the ABM unless it's malfunctioning.

I would open a window and not have the bird in the same room as the bread machine when its in use, but I think it will be OK (though I can certainly understand why you might not want to take the risk). I used a bread machine many years and my cockatiel was fine.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any ABM manufacturer makes a pan without a PTFE coating.

Edited by dw310

I have used teflon in my home, forever... I use a breadmaker as well, and just make sure that EVERYTIME I am cooking, no birds are in the kitchen, and that the fan is on, and a window is open. Also, making sure not to let the pan overheat is important... I know it's not something you are "supposed" to do, but I think done with caution and common sense, it can be done.