NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Boings and Pumice perches?

JDS5607

Hi everyone!!

We're ready to get Sully his very first Boing, and I was wondering where the best place to get one is? I have checked ebay, and drsfostersmith.com, as well as some other places, but I wanted some opinions from y'all.

Also, Pumice perches... what are your opinions on their safety? We want one to keep Sully's nails trimmed!

I got Babalu's boing from the local parrot store. It has toys connected to it, thats why I bought it. I have not seen another place yet that sells one like it... And I put a sandy perch in his cage, so I can not give an opinion there... But as far as ordering online from stores, (I know I have posted this before:)), but my new favorite is http://www.mybirdsafestore.com. If she does not have what you are looking for, she will try and get it and shipping has always been fast and she is really nice.

Cosmo HATED his pumice perch at first. We had to keep it in the bird room on a table in plain sight(but at a distance) until he got comfortable with it. Eventually he got used to it and we are glad he did. In just a day of climing on it his claws were totally dull. So nice to be able to hold him without bleeding :)

The others gave great responses.

I buy most my parrot toys and parts from windy city parrots : http://www.windycityparrot.com/page/Windycityparrot/CTGY/toyrope

It may take a while for your grey to get used to a boing, maybe not, it just depends on each bird. In terms of Pumice, Cement etc. perches the same thing goes, some may get on them, some may not.

Thanks everyone!

Sadly, the only parrot store around here is one without the greatest reputation. They are reported to adopt or take in sick parrots and breed them, or sell them... So I don't go there. IF the rumors are true, I don't want to give any of our business to them.

I'll check all those sites for the best boing. I was thinking it would cost between 15 & 30 for a nice one, so I guess i was right on track :) The pumice perch is somethin we'll get at Petsmart today. I prefer buying things online, but petsmart will do! lol, because I buy so many toy parts, make them and sell them online, I get a LOT of packages in, and Sully always likes to go through the boxes to see what toys I got. lol, poor thing never gets anything just for him, so I think I will order the boing for him online, just so he can help open the box :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll let ya know how he likes the BOING! :)

I got my boing shipped from CSN stores & they were the cheapest, by far that I'd found. I got a large A&E sisal boing & it was huge & decent quality for store bought.

http://www.csnstores.com/asp/keyword.asp?sortby=&keyword=boing&maid=&matchtype=&keywordvalue=&stype=2&command=dosearch&itemsperpage=96&ListFormat=1&LayoutFormat=1&mclass=Bird+Cage+Stands%2FAccessories

Phenix wouldn't go near his for about 6 months. But, that's how he is. He didn't growl or cower, so I just left it & waited. Now, he's on it all the time.

I have seen some new versions of a pumice perch that has a coating across the top so it is not abrasive to their feet and have also been advised not to put one in the cage at the highest level because it isn't good for them to sleep on it. For mine, I put it next to the food dish so he would get on and off it often and watched the bottom of his feet. For the boing, I noticed it scared our birds at first because it moved when they didn't expect it, so I stretched it a bit, fastened it on both ends so they could get the feel of it, then I took the bottom clasp off and it didn't take any time at all for them to make the second adjustment to motion.

I got my boing shipped from CSN stores & they were the cheapest, by far that I'd found. I got a large A&E sisal boing & it was huge & decent quality for store bought.

http://www.csnstores.com/asp/keyword.asp?sortby=&keyword=boing&maid=&matchtype=&keywordvalue=&stype=2&command=dosearch&itemsperpage=96&ListFormat=1&LayoutFormat=1&mclass=Bird+Cage+Stands%2FAccessories

Phenix wouldn't go near his for about 6 months. But, that's how he is. He didn't growl or cower, so I just left it & waited. Now, he's on it all the time.

Wow, those are cheap.

We decided to order one from Windycity. It was a little more expensive, but with the free shipping over $45 there, we decided to get a couple of things extra, and then got 15% off our first order, plus 5% cash back. I'm a deal junkie, so I had to take it!!!! :)

The boing should be in soon, so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the info!!