NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can the greys eat Chilli?

Brittany

We're making chilli tonight and want to know if it is safe for Pepper?

I think Chilli has a lot of salt content, but we will not be giving him a lot. I am sure he would love it because of the green pepper added to it!

Any info would be great, thanks =]

Hiya,

Maybe make a small portion for him without the salt and especially without the onions. Onions are toxic to parrots and they should not have them. Some people may also tell you that the fat from the beef is bad, but I would not worry about that so much as you just give your birds a tiny portion. But onions are a big no-no.

Hiya' date='

Maybe make a small portion for him without the salt and especially without the onions. Onions are toxic to parrots and they should not have them. Some people may also tell you that the fat from the beef is bad, but I would not worry about that so much as you just give your birds a tiny portion. But onions are a big no-no.[/quote']

Don't forget, no Garlic! But cumin and chili peppers, ok... Grey't.....

Edited by Jayd
cumin, chili pepers ok

Don't forget, no Garlic! cumin and chili peppers, ok... Grey't.....

Hey Jayd, are you saying no chili peppers or chili peppers & cumin are ok? We have some chili peppers in Murphy seed mix (tidymix) although he doesn't seem to eat them. Thinking about it, the mix also has garlic sticks too.

This is the seed mix we feed Murphy

http://www.tidymixdiets.com/shop/parrot-diet.htm?Submit1=Place+Order

http://www.tidymixdiets.com/about-us.htm

Edited by reggieroo

I've read (and been told by my vet) that GARLIC is ok but ONIONS are NOT okay. Not to hijack the thread, but do any of you feed sliced garlic to your greys? Have any of your vets chimed in on the matter?

Thanks!

Chilli peppers are def ok - ALfie love's them fresh, just remember to keep your fingers away from your eyes - oh, and no kissies after they've had chillis either because ouch!!

I have also read conflicting advice on garlic, so I remove the sticks from ALfie's tidymix - better safe than sorry!

Like pearllyn says, chili peppers are grey't, stay away from the real hot one's, a parrot only has 400 taste buds.Sorry I wasn't clearer...>^..^< Please no Garlic, small dose's are in the testing stages. In parrot's it causes the blood cell's to explode...Better safe then sorry...There's some good threads and posts concerning Garlic here.....Here's just one reputable site....Thanks Jay d

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-nutrition/birds-onions-and-garlic.aspx